Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having a slight problem with my 5 speed 05 GT. My engine speed will often dip up and down from 350 - 1100 rpms when I'm sitting at a stop light or while I am braking while I am approaching an intersection. It hasn't entirely cut off the engine yet, but I'm concerned that it is a problem that will only get worse. Any suggestions, stories, similar problems, or even better.... solutions? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I have noticed this behavior only on one occasion, as I pulled into the turn lane at the stop light, my car sputtered down into the 0-500rpm range, not sure exactly where to, and then jumped back up. It was very interesting. It's not happened since though, so I have no idea why it happened. Hope you can figure it out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is happening to me quite often... I did forget to mention one thing, in my original thread... My car has roughly 14,000 miles on it... I was using 93 octance gas until I read in the manual (12,000 miles) that it was not engineered to run 93, but was engineered to run 87 octane, does anyone think this might have anything to do with my problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
I've had this happen when I forget to reconnect one of the spark plug wires or fuel injector wires.

Could be a bad connection or a bad spark plug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Neither my 05 coupe or 06 vert. have done that. I have noticed that both would stall easily after idling for more than 3 minutes though.
Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
did you know these new MOD engines were made to run fully compatible with methanol and alcohol instead of regular 87-91 octane?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,106 Posts
Sputtering

If your engine dies way down, after you let off the brake, there could be a vacuum leak. My truck used to have a bad brake booster. As the brake pedal was let off, if you didn't get on the gas, it would die. It is doing it again a little. Simple fix, if that's it. Even simpler since your car is still under warranty :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
jim83181 said:
Hey guys, I'm having a slight problem with my 5 speed 05 GT. My engine speed will often dip up and down from 350 - 1100 rpms when I'm sitting at a stop light or while I am braking while I am approaching an intersection. It hasn't entirely cut off the engine yet, but I'm concerned that it is a problem that will only get worse. Any suggestions, stories, similar problems, or even better.... solutions? Thanks
Sorry to be the anal one of the group, but you said 5 speed. You do know that both the auto and manual are 5 speed. So when you say 5 speed GT, doesn't really tell us anything other than it has a tranny :winks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip JetBlack, I'll have the dealer check it out... really appreciate it, it does especially happen when I apply the brake, I have noticed it more in since it has gotten cold up here. sorry twoScoop... Manual
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
jim83181 said:
Thanks for the tip JetBlack, I'll have the dealer check it out... really appreciate it, it does especially happen when I apply the brake, I have noticed it more in since it has gotten cold up here. sorry twoScoop... Manual
Haha. Thanks. I figured thats what you meant...just wanted to bust your chops :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So listen to this, i brought the car in to the dealer yesterday regarding this problem... the dealer told me that he retrieved a memory code for frost in the throttle body or something along those lines.... I asked him how this could have happened, he said well you have a KN air filter and it may allow moisture into the intake and when the weather gets chilly, this is the problem is the result.... AHHH!! Then one of the techs badgered me a bit and asked, "So why K&N?". I could only answer him with their for promise less restrictive air intake, he said i shouldn't believe everything i hear. He's the expert I'm not, I'm putting my stock air filter in, this sucks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,170 Posts
jim83181 said:
So listen to this, i brought the car in to the dealer yesterday regarding this problem... the dealer told me that he retrieved a memory code for frost in the throttle body or something along those lines.... I asked him how this could have happened, he said well you have a KN air filter and it may allow moisture into the intake and when the weather gets chilly, this is the problem is the result.... AHHH!! Then one of the techs badgered me a bit and asked, "So why K&N?". I could only answer him with their for promise less restrictive air intake, he said i shouldn't believe everything i hear. He's the expert I'm not, I'm putting my stock air filter in, this sucks!
That was my concern up here in the colder states.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
jim83181 said:
So listen to this, i brought the car in to the dealer yesterday regarding this problem... the dealer told me that he retrieved a memory code for frost in the throttle body or something along those lines.... I asked him how this could have happened, he said well you have a KN air filter and it may allow moisture into the intake and when the weather gets chilly, this is the problem is the result.... AHHH!! Then one of the techs badgered me a bit and asked, "So why K&N?". I could only answer him with their for promise less restrictive air intake, he said i shouldn't believe everything i hear. He's the expert I'm not, I'm putting my stock air filter in, this sucks!
Jeez, I'd love to hear what the tech has to say about CAI units running in very cold temps. I've had mine out in the high teens w/ a steeda CAI and it seems to run stronger. Sounds like BS to me. Good luck w/ the problem. :wavey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Did you know some jet engines have water injection??? A small amount of moisture will not hurt a thing. In the jets it makes the air more dense, thus added thrust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
jim83181 said:
So listen to this, i brought the car in to the dealer yesterday regarding this problem... the dealer told me that he retrieved a memory code for frost in the throttle body or something along those lines.... I asked him how this could have happened, he said well you have a KN air filter and it may allow moisture into the intake and when the weather gets chilly, this is the problem is the result.... AHHH!! Then one of the techs badgered me a bit and asked, "So why K&N?". I could only answer him with their for promise less restrictive air intake, he said i shouldn't believe everything i hear. He's the expert I'm not, I'm putting my stock air filter in, this sucks!
Did you ask the tech at what temp ice melts??? What temp does he say it gets that close to the engine under the hood.
:sterb: sounds like he needs some sense knocked into him, I smell bs too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,170 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
Did you ask the tech at what temp ice melts??? What temp does he say it gets that close to the engine under the hood.
:sterb: sounds like he needs some sense knocked into him, I smell bs too.
I can see it if it sits overnight with condensation in it freezing up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I can see it if it sits overnight with condensation in it freezing up.
Agreed... But by the time its warmed up I would think the moisture would be gone. I used to have a K&N FIPK and NEVER had a problem, granted it was an sn95 model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
The filter is not there to stop moist air, not the Ford/MotorCraft one, not the K&N, the air however moist goes through!!

The engine temp does not matter so much either as the venturi effect will cool the surface down to freezing anyways, even in Florida!

Slightly different... there is a modded S197 at MD that stalls if you put it in neutral and roll down a hill etc. on the highway... nothing in the tune that they've found so far... any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
jim83181 said:
he said i shouldn't believe everything i hear.
Maybe he was refering to what he was saying? :laughlitt
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top