Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted about this before because it happens every spring. Maybe this time will be the charm. In very specific conditions my car starts to sputter, kinda feels like hiccups actually. It can eventually lead to a stall.

Torrential Rains = No Problem
Searing Heat = No Problem
Heat + LIGHT Rain = BIG Problem

I just don't know what to make of it anymore. I can't possibly bring it to a mechanic because I'll just end up paying him to drive around for an hour and nothing will go wrong. 99% of the time the car runs like a top; the weather needs to be very specific for anything to happen. As stated above ordinary rain won't do it, not even if the heavens open up and god himself takes a leak. I could probably pull a James Bond and drive the thing underwater. But at this time of year when it's warm, kinda cloudy, and raining a little the engine struggles and eventually dies.

Does anyone have a fresh idea? I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
heat plus light rain equals a lot of humidity.maybe when theres a lot of moisture in the air your vortech sucks it in

·
Registered
531 Posts
push the red fuel reset button by your left foot. see if that helps.

·
Registered
962 Posts
another thought....check for moisture build up in the coil,where the plug wires go into. Look at the ends for corrosion,put some lubricate on them. Check all the plug wires for a snug fit....moisture build up..humidity,,,could be the cause...if its intermittent its electrical,if its constant its mechanical.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The supercharger is actually sitting on a bench right now, this problem happens with or without it. Though I do think the humidity has something to do with it.
I've had to press the fuel reset once or twice before but that was because my VMP tune file tripped it. In fact I'm getting more and more suspicious of those VMP tune files....he claims that elevation isn't important when making the files but if that's true then why does BamaChips ask?
The coil, well that's an aftermarket unit and I've checked it several times since this started. The only obvious problem with it is that the factory power connector has too much weather seal on it to reach the locking clasp. Other than that it's in there tight and so are the plug wires.

The problem is that it's really hard to test different things because the problem is so damm hard to predict (other than the time of year). I could throw a rock at it, not have the problem return for a year and think the rock fixed the problem :shigrin

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
thats sounds just like what my car does if i loosen or pull off any of my pcv hoses. is there any chance something is loose and it just a coincidence ?

·
Registered
344 Posts
heat plus light rain equals a lot of humidity.maybe when theres a lot of moisture in the air your vortech sucks it in
This is what I think as well. Heat plus light rain caused more humidity underhood. You probably have something loose of with a gap that allows the moisture to get in. Spark plug wires might be the first place I would look.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually removed the PCV lines last year and capped them off. At any rate this problem was happening long before then.

I just tried to take the car out for the first time in a a few days. The weather hasn't changed, you'd definately call it humid. Anyway the first time the car started and died instantly. 2nd time it caught, sputtered for a few seconds and died again. The 3rd time it seemed to stabilize and I ventured away from the curb. Made it around the corner before it died again :mad:

After a few more attempts I got it running long enough to park it, sputtering all the way. I popped the hood and looked for anything I could think of but as always there's not much to go on. This damm problem doesn't even generate a code, it's like the damm computer thinks it's normal to stall out....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a thought, when I installed my supercharger I reduced the plug gap to .035 according to the instructions. The point of that was to keep the spark from being snuffed out at high boost levels.
But maybe the reduced gap plugs are having a problem igniting the humid air. What do you think?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Here's a thought, when I installed my supercharger I reduced the plug gap to .035 according to the instructions. The point of that was to keep the spark from being snuffed out at high boost levels.
But maybe the reduced gap plugs are having a problem igniting the humid air. What do you think?
thats definitely a thought... and you did say that the supercharger wasnt on it right now. and without the boost the air going in is probably not as "mixed up" or turbulant, if you get what im saying.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to re-gap the plugs on the weekend. Ofcourse by then the weather may have changed and I might not know if I was right til next year :shigrin

·
Registered
20 Posts
i had that problem but it happened because i raced a friend on low fuel. my car would hesitate and hiccup and the gas pedal wouldn't respond at all it never stalled though. i changed the fuel filter the gas pressure sensor and it didnt work so i ended up taking it to the mechanic and he told me the gas tank was dirty so he cleaned it and my car went back to normal. i dont know if this helps but its a possible solution

1 - 12 of 12 Posts