Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought and installed this? If so how hard was the installation? Did you have to take apart the dash? And more importantly (this might be a stupid question) how exactly does it work? Put the key in then press the button...?

·
Registered
24 Posts
draekus said:
Has anyone bought and installed this? If so how hard was the installation? Did you have to take apart the dash? And more importantly (this might be a stupid question) how exactly does it work? Put the key in then press the button...?
The installation was very easy. You have to take apart the center floor console, the center stack wings, and the center stack cover. It all pops apart, and from what I hear, the 50resto kit includes instructions. The best engine start button out there for the money is the Honda S2000 button. Which is included in the 50resto kit. To operate the car, you put your key in first, turn it to run, then push and hold the button until it starts. I hooked my button +12V source so it isn't lit up the whole time, only when the key is in the run position. I'll run outside and make a short video of the operation.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
My question is:

What's the point? Why would I care to have one more chore to do - push a button? <confused> I'd rather just turn the key to start the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
MrKABC said:
My question is:

What's the point? Why would I care to have one more chore to do - push a button? <confused> I'd rather just turn the key to start the car.
I thought this technology was supposed to be "keyless" start? I like keyless systems where you only have to have the key fob on your person like the Lexus and Caddy systems but thanks for the video. Your car sounds awesome.

·
Registered
386 Posts
rfbandit said:
The installation was very easy. You have to take apart the center floor console, the center stack wings, and the center stack cover. It all pops apart, and from what I hear, the 50resto kit includes instructions. The best engine start button out there for the money is the Honda S2000 button. Which is included in the 50resto kit. To operate the car, you put your key in first, turn it to run, then push and hold the button until it starts. I hooked my button +12V source so it isn't lit up the whole time, only when the key is in the run position. I'll run outside and make a short video of the operation.
Very Cool ! :) I like the look of the button. I could see the need to power up the juice w/the key which kinda blows but overall it's a really nice touch. How long did it take you to do the job start to finish ?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I found this mod while searching for other "things" and thought it would be kinda neat to have. But, after some serious thought about it, I came to the conclusion that it's gimmicky. I agree with the "what's the point" comments. Also, I highly doubt that bright red light dims at night. Who wants to drive with a glaring red light shining in your face? Not me. My .02 cents. :wavey

·
Registered
386 Posts
Spoken w/a few shops today & they seem confident they could wire this doo-dad to work sanz key but it would always be on so if it's illuminated you'd have to live with it leeching your battery (or take out the bulb) but one comment about it struck me particularly funny, namely "Are you sure you want anyone to pop in & start your car". Having a vert no less could just imagine telling insurance claims well "yeah I did put this big light up button on my dash that blinked "steal me , steal me" :doh: as they cut open my top.
So guess the key aspect is a bit practical. Overall all, trinket or not, I still like it .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts