Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help. I have a 2002 Mustang V6 (3.8L). She starts up with no problem but when shakes wildly when idling and under accelerations stutters and has very little power. She fels like she wants to stall but hasn't yet. Last week I went to Discount Auto and had the codes read which showed cylinder 1 misfiring and incorrect timing for under 1000 rpm. In the laqst week of minimal driviing I've already installed 6 new platinum 2 spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, and ignition coil. Yesterday I went back to discount auto and it still reads cylinder 1 misfire, bad timing under 1000 rpm, but now cylinder 3 is misfiring also...

At a loss for what to try next. Could it be clogged injectors, a bad fuel pump, or should I skip those and go to the ignition module? Recommendations?

Thank you!
Darryl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
CFLGuy38 said:
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help. I have a 2002 Mustang V6 (3.8L). She starts up with no problem but when shakes wildly when idling and under accelerations stutters and has very little power. She fels like she wants to stall but hasn't yet. Last week I went to Discount Auto and had the codes read which showed cylinder 1 misfiring and incorrect timing for under 1000 rpm. In the laqst week of minimal driviing I've already installed 6 new platinum 2 spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, and ignition coil. Yesterday I went back to discount auto and it still reads cylinder 1 misfire, bad timing under 1000 rpm, but now cylinder 3 is misfiring also...

At a loss for what to try next. Could it be clogged injectors, a bad fuel pump, or should I skip those and go to the ignition module? Recommendations?

Thank you!
Darryl
how many miles?

Did you disconnect the computer after installing the plugs and wires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kscoyote said:
how many miles?

Did you disconnect the computer after installing the plugs and wires?
65,000 and I didnt disconnect it but I did go back to have the check engine alert turned off. It came back on as soon as I accelerated out of the first traffic light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
CFLGuy38 said:
65,000 and I didnt disconnect it but I did go back to have the check engine alert turned off. It came back on as soon as I accelerated out of the first traffic light.
Why did you change the plugs, etc? They're good for 100,000+ miles!

Try disconnecting the battery for 5 mins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
sometimes the different resistance of the parts can throw off the computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kscoyote said:
sometimes the different resistance of the parts can throw off the computer.
The spark plugs and wires was at the rec of a guy at discount auto and did essentailly nothing... I blew out the MAF and disconnected the battery for about 30 mins and it started up and ran great for about 1/2 mile then it all came back quickly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
CFLGuy38 said:
The spark plugs and wires was at the rec of a guy at discount auto and did essentailly nothing... I blew out the MAF and disconnected the battery for about 30 mins and it started up and ran great for about 1/2 mile then it all came back quickly...
define "blew out," Did you spreay it with computer contact cleaner?

You didn't touch the wires, did you?

You should check your idle air control, too . ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
CFLGuy38 said:
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help. I have a 2002 Mustang V6 (3.8L). She starts up with no problem but when shakes wildly when idling and under accelerations stutters and has very little power. She fels like she wants to stall but hasn't yet. Last week I went to Discount Auto and had the codes read which showed cylinder 1 misfiring and incorrect timing for under 1000 rpm. In the laqst week of minimal driviing I've already installed 6 new platinum 2 spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, and ignition coil. Yesterday I went back to discount auto and it still reads cylinder 1 misfire, bad timing under 1000 rpm, but now cylinder 3 is misfiring also...

At a loss for what to try next. Could it be clogged injectors, a bad fuel pump, or should I skip those and go to the ignition module? Recommendations?

Thank you!
Darryl
Darryl --
Are you the guy with the grey convertible that stopped by my house last Saturday afternoon in Windward Square? If so Im glad you finally made it on here.
If not this would be a VERY strange coincidence, for the same exact mustang year and engine to be having the same exact problem in central florida, whose owner went to discount auto parts last week and showed a #1 cylinder misfire and then changed all the above listed parts......
OK well if its not the same guy I know someone who had these same exact problems, and I scanned his computer with my code reader and it spit out the following codes:
0181
07E5
00E5
Now -- the first one I think is legit, but the second two codes I am completely confused on. I have never had a computer output a letter on me before. And yes my code reader is working perfectly fine and yes I know how to operate it because I use it on peoples cars all the time. I also used it on a friends Eclipse after that and it was working fine then too.
Has anyone ever seen those codes before?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
make sure you have the right plugs in the car, I had gotten some 22C plugs instead of 32C plugs which cause hesitation underload.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kscoyote: Yeah, I used a computer contact cleaner and did not touch the wires in any way. How do I check the idle air control? That's a new one to me.

Mccoigk: Absolute coincidence! She is grey but not a convertible. Good to see other CFL people here though.

lcurle: I didn't keep the plug boxes. How can I check that now?

Thanks all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
WOW
Then that is really freakin wierd.... the guy Im talking about saw me from the road and just stopped by while I was putting my 347 back in my 91 and had all the same problems you did. You didnt happen to stop at the Advance Auto parts on 436/Aloma like he did? Now that would be a snowballs chance in .........

Do you remember what the codes were, i mean the exact numbers it spit out?
Just curious....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
CFLGuy38 said:
kscoyote: Yeah, I used a computer contact cleaner and did not touch the wires in any way. How do I check the idle air control? That's a new one to me.

Mccoigk: Absolute coincidence! She is grey but not a convertible. Good to see other CFL people here though.

lcurle: I didn't keep the plug boxes. How can I check that now?

Thanks all!
sure you don't have a vacuum leak?

shoot Mustangtk a PM. He's a ford tech . . . I've never had to mess with the IAC, but he has . . .you might shoot monkeyboy a PM too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mccoigk: Nope, it was 192 and I-27. Opposite corner of Orlando. Hell of a conicidence though!

KSCoyote: Nope, could easily be a vacuum hose. Unfortunately I am new to self repair and I have no idea how to trace that. I'll PM both of them, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
CFLGuy38 said:
Mccoigk: Nope, it was 192 and I-27. Opposite corner of Orlando. Hell of a conicidence though!

KSCoyote: Nope, could easily be a vacuum hose. Unfortunately I am new to self repair and I have no idea how to trace that. I'll PM both of them, thanks!
spray some soapy water on the intake liberally while the engine is running. If you hear a hiss, you'll find the leak. . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Do you still have those scanner code numbers I asked about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mccoigk said:
Do you still have those scanner code numbers I asked about?
No, unfortunately I don't. I took it to a dealer today because it was getting to be very inconvinient to bum rides. The continuing problem was at least partially my fault. When I replaced the spark plugs I cracked #3 going in. They also flushed the fuel system at my request and reset the computer and she's running damn near perfect now.

Thanks for all the help. I'll be hanging around for further enhancements. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Same problem

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been having the same problem in Georgia with my '02 V6 Mustang (Mineral grey also) It has been feeling underpowered and it was seeming to shudder while in idle or taking forever to accelerate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
ulvdemon said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I've been having the same problem in Georgia with my '02 V6 Mustang (Mineral grey also) It has been feeling underpowered and it was seeming to shudder while in idle or taking forever to accelerate.
How many miles are on the car?

The shuddering is almost always a dirty MAF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Stumbling While Accelerating!

I Had the exact problem, i spent two whole days pulling everything apart, it turned out to be the ignition coil. the way i tested it was started the car, had it rev'ed at 2,500, one at a time pull the wires from the coil, and noticed that one wasnt sparking, at all, so i replaced it, and so you dont go through what i did, wear gloves and also take the coil with you to go get one, i was sold the wrong one.:sterb:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top