Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 77' mustang II Ghia with a 302. I recently came across a 351w, how easy/hard would the swap be. any modifications, things i need to buy?:happyhapp

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Basically just new headers. But some of the 302 headers fit the 351W. The tranny will mount up to the 351W. The deck height is a little taller and it is about 1 inche wider than your 302. We went with one with a rear sump oil pan to avoid the clearance problems with the rack and pinion. It was simple and easy.

·
Super Moderator
40,053 Posts
As stated above,not a hard swap.Fairly basic.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I would go to the salvage yard and pick me up a 302 roller or 351 roller. You can get a for under $100's. Get a mild solid roller cam and solid roller lifters. Get a set of heads from a 93-95 cobra for about $45 a piece or a set a GT 40 heads. They are pretty much the same thing. A set a 1.5 or 1.6 roller rocker for about $100. You options is really up to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A W is a pretty tight fit in a II.

It's pretty easy if sledgehammering frame parts and such for clearance is OK with you.

I've done the swap without a sledge, it was a PITA.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the brake booster was an issue, as far as clearance goes. Could be wrong though...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did it with mine,no clearance except oil pan on rack,air cleaner, even used orig. exhaust manifolds......Cleveland would be better but exhaust?.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.