Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I’ve got a 2011 GT with 120k miles that I just brought in and am told I’ll need an engine. It’s running but knocking. I’m at a crossroads. $5k or so seems to be what I can find a reman’d engine for and options for used aren’t turning up anything much lower than that to be worth not having the warranty. Add labor costs, as I’m no mechanic, and this would be a lot to throw into an older but still otherwise very nice Brembo GT. I’d been planning to sell soon for something newer again before this but now I’m not sure on it’s best value. Sell as is? Fix and sell? Fix and keep a while longer?
Thoughts are welcome/appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
So my Nephew and I were having a similar question a couple of weeks back. He has a 2010 Altima he is still paying off. The car is worth about $2500, he owes ~$2500 and the transmission is failing, so it needs about $3000 in repairs. If he were to sell the car as is, he might get a $1000, but he still needs to pay off the loan. And he wants a mustang in the next 6 months to a year. I think the advice I gave him might apply here as well.

Sometimes life throws us curve balls and we cannot get what we want. I am not sure what you mean by 'soon' but if you replace the motor, you need to see if you can get your money back in the long run. A quick price check on line with KBB, shows me a value of ~$10.5-13.5K for your car (made some assumptions). In the current shape, you are looking at (in my area) $3K for the car as is.

Other question to consider:
1. Does the car need any other work?
2. Considering the amount of time you expect to keep the car, in those miles, do you expect to need to do anything else? Brakes, tires etc ...
3. Do you owe any money on the car still?


If I could answer 'no' to those questions, and I had the means to pay for it, I would put the new motor in the mustang.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So my Nephew and I were having a similar question a couple of weeks back. He has a 2010 Altima he is still paying off. The car is worth about $2500, he owes ~$2500 and the transmission is failing, so it needs about $3000 in repairs. If he were to sell the car as is, he might get a $1000, but he still needs to pay off the loan. And he wants a mustang in the next 6 months to a year. I think the advice I gave him might apply here as well.

Sometimes life throws us curve balls and we cannot get what we want. I am not sure what you mean by 'soon' but if you replace the motor, you need to see if you can get your money back in the long run. A quick price check on line with KBB, shows me a value of ~$10.5-13.5K for your car (made some assumptions). In the current shape, you are looking at (in my area) $3K for the car as is.

Other question to consider:
1. Does the car need any other work?
2. Considering the amount of time you expect to keep the car, in those miles, do you expect to need to do anything else? Brakes, tires etc ...
3. Do you owe any money on the car still?


If I could answer 'no' to those questions, and I had the means to pay for it, I would put the new motor in the mustang.
To the questions you listed:
1. Does the car need any other work?
2. Considering the amount of time you expect to keep the car, in those miles, do you expect to need to do anything else? Brakes, tires etc ...
No other work needed (that I know of), but it’s a 2011 with 120k miles so the next thing could be around the corner. I did just get new tires this summer. The interior is still nice and exterior paint still looks great aside from the front bumper which has shown it’s age for a few year now but blends decently on a black car.
3. Do you owe any money on the car still?
No the car is paid off.

Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ut if you replace the motor, you need to see if you can get your money back in the long run. A quick price check on line with KBB, shows me a value of ~$10.5-13.5K for your car (made some assumptions). In the current shape, you are looking at (in my area) $3K for the car as is.

Other question to consider:
1. Does the car need any other work?
2. Considering the amount of time you expect to keep the car, in those miles, do you expect to need to do anything else? Brakes, tires etc ...
3. Do you owe any money on the car still?


If I could answer 'no' to those questions, and I had the means to pay for it, I would put the new motor in the mustang.
I am not sure what you mean by 'soon' but if you replace the motor, you need to see if you can get your money back in the long run.
My wife doesn’t want to learn to drive the manual and we just moved to a new area with more stop and go traffic on my daily commute so it’s becoming less enjoyable to me now too. I’ve owned two cars in my life, a manual 99 GT and this manual 11 GT now and kept each about a decade. So for those reasons, I was beginning to look at selling in the near term vs keeping for years to come. If I fix it, I’ll probably have to keep it longer to get my money’s worth out of the expense. If I sell, I guess I take a good hit on its value and move on. I’m at a crossroads... Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
That is a tough decision to make. The old saying "Bad things happen to good people" May apply here. Have you asked the dealer what they would give you for a trade in the current condition? That would be a factor in my decision. I got lucky several years (2016) ago and got $3,500 for a 2007 Mustang V6 with 222,000 miles on it. They started at $750 and I continued to haggle until I got $3,500. It was running without any major engine problems.
Did the $5,000 you quoted include labor? I personally would be leaning toward getting what I could in a trade, since your car is paid off. Just my opinion, good luck with your decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a tough decision to make. The old saying "Bad things happen to good people" May apply here. Have you asked the dealer what they would give you for a trade in the current condition? That would be a factor in my decision. I got lucky several years (2016) ago and got $3,500 for a 2007 Mustang V6 with 222,000 miles on it. They started at $750 and I continued to haggle until I got $3,500. It was running without any major engine problems.
Did the $5,000 you quoted include labor? I personally would be leaning toward getting what I could in a trade, since your car is paid off. Just my opinion, good luck with your decision.
No that’s just the engine. Original quote was 10k+ out the door with Ford for labor and parts. 21.5 hours labor, I’m told, book rate for the engine swap. (Haven’t been able to verify that). I’m making calls to a couple other local shops for quotes, so far awaiting replies, other than a couple guestimates of maybe $8500ish total.

I’ve considered the trade-in value as well—thank you, good point. I’ve always wondered on how trade in value works. Sometimes it seems to be just a set number they’re already willing to give you with or without a trade-in, depending on your haggling. I’m not sure on that though, just always been my suspicion. I will explore that further too. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know if other engines would be possible/worth considering? If swapping an engine any way (and I haven’t yet priced any alternative remanufactured options), would it be an option to at least upgrade to a newer year GT engine with more HP, or maybe even Shelby engine? Probably not a cost saver but just exploring all options. I know on my previous mustang, after I had my wheels stolen, I was at least able to find a silver lining in an upgrading their insured replacements.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,263 Posts
You probably "could" install a different engine than the 5.0 it came with eg. 4.6/v6 etc. But a. could you get it to run with the car`s computer? I doubt it & b. even if it did run/drive it would be a Frankenstang, meaning it would be worthless. With that mileage "I" would sell/trade it as is.
My friend put a newer engine in his `95 F 150 PU. He then tore out the EFI system & replaced it with a carb. It runs, but would never pass emissions here in Pa. He wound up registering it as an antique vehicle so he could get it on the road.
 
  • Like
Reactions: grandmasterb

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You probably "could" install a different engine than the 5.0 it came with eg. 4.6/v6 etc. But a. could you get it to run with the car`s computer? I doubt it & b. even if it did run/drive it would be a Frankenstang, meaning it would be worthless. With that mileage "I" would sell/trade it as is.
My friend put a newer engine in his `95 F 150 PU. He then tore out the EFI system & replaced it with a carb. It runs, but would never pass emissions here in Pa. He wound up registering it as an antique vehicle so he could get it on the road.
Thanks. All good to know. I am just trying to think outside the box while I stall on deciding. I did get a second quote from a non-ford shop. $8500 out the door so I’d probably go with them over Ford unless Ford would come down to match. Uggh. Decisions decisions. Thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
The gen. 1 Coyote that came in F-150s is nearly identical to the Mustang engine and used ones can be found fairly cheap. Many Coyote swaps on the pre 2011 cars are done with truck engines.

You would have to swap over your intake cams, intake manifold, front mounted accessories and exhaust manifolds to the truck 5.0. While the cam drive was apart, I would upgrade the oil pump gears as well. If you decide to keep the car, you could make some other upgrades (cams, long tube headers etc.) that wouldn't add anything to the labor bill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,034 Posts
You probably "could" install a different engine than the 5.0 it came with eg. 4.6/v6 etc. But a. could you get it to run with the car`s computer? I doubt it & b. even if it did run/drive it would be a Frankenstang, meaning it would be worthless. With that mileage "I" would sell/trade it as is.
My friend put a newer engine in his `95 F 150 PU. He then tore out the EFI system & replaced it with a carb. It runs, but would never pass emissions here in Pa. He wound up registering it as an antique vehicle so he could get it on the road.
I think he’s talking about like a newer coyote than his, like a 2018. I imagine it could be done but you might need the computer and wiring harness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Anyone know if other engines would be possible/worth considering? If swapping an engine any way (and I haven’t yet priced any alternative remanufactured options), would it be an option to at least upgrade to a newer year GT engine with more HP, or maybe even Shelby engine? Probably not a cost saver but just exploring all options. I know on my previous mustang, after I had my wheels stolen, I was at least able to find a silver lining in an upgrading their insured replacements.
So if you want to keep the car until it falls apart you can pick up the 5.0 engine out of the new gen GTs pretty cheap, (like 1500 bucks) as they come in some of the gas trucks.(2013 or 2014 and up) You may need to put new rods in, not entirely sure. But again this is only if you want to keep the car forever, as it will be more or less be worth nothing. If the car holds no sentimental value and you want to upgrade, you could definitely trade it in. I know at the ford dealership I work at we'd probably give you $1500 for it. But if you have more money to put down and some good deals coming up. you could probably get away with putting 4k down plus the trade in and have a new GT with a monthly payment somewhere in the range of 5-600 a month depending on credit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,968 Posts
I think I'd go to a local performance shop and ask them how much they would charge to rebuild it, and make it better while they're at it.

120K miles isn't bad at all for the rest of the car, depending on condition
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top