Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 mustang gt auto with 90k miles all the sudden felt like it wants to stall and now makes this tapping noise. Like metal to metal sound.kinda loud.
When I rev it you hear get faster and louder.

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
ouch . . . I am not sure what that is, but it does not sound good . . . before you panic completely, open the hood with the engine running and look around the serpentine belt to see if there is something external that is making that noise . . . and meanwhile go easy so you don't do more damage

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm already in panic mode. I should have mentioned that it sounded like it was coming from driver side valve cover.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Time to get it to a shop you trust, for a diagnoses.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A cousin of mine that works on cars said spun rod bearing or cam phasers. I drove the car two miles home. I don't think it would be spun bearings because the engine would have went goodbye by then

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
A video of the engine bay with the engine running would be very helpful to us.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's OK. I will be calling the insurance company of the shop that removed a broken spark plug from my engine. The shop definitely let debris fall into the engine. No coincidence my engine is knocking a week later.

·
Registered
10,885 Posts

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
A cousin of mine that works on cars said spun rod bearing or cam phasers. I drove the car two miles home. I don't think it would be spun bearings because the engine would have went goodbye by then
I was just thinking timing chain slap!

Reactions: D3layd

·
Registered
8,602 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be honest it was making noise but it was faint. At first I thought It was normal because I saw numerous posts about 4.6 makes noises and it got progressively louder until it just completely started slapping. I believe if the debris was small enough it wouldn't have immediately messed it up. It would have taken some time to get stuck on something and messed it up. Also if the timing was that garbage to fail at 90k miles ford needs to get sued because that's just BS.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
A video of the engine bay with the engine running would be very helpful to us.
Bump.
As a follow up, I suggest you check the compression in all cylinders. If there was indeed debris in one of them, you could have a bent valve. A leak down test would also be helpful if you find low compression in any cylinder as it'll determine where gases are escaping to.

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
my understanding is that timing chain maintenance is not normally needed until well into the 100K range, if the car is fairly well maintained (has oil in it and changed regularly) and not severely abused . . . mine has been moderately abused with many road track sessions, but always had good oil (and hasn't had any foreign objects dropped into the engine), and has no issues at 105K

Reactions: Beechkid

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea im not sure exactly what's wrong with the car and what the noise is. I talked to someone at ford and he said he doesn't think its a timing issue. So whatever it is the shop (Moderated) it up.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Let us know what they find. Thanks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sounds like a rocker follower tapping to me, especially there at the end when you increased the rpm's, but then again its hard to tell for sure from the video. Only one way to be sure, remove the valve covers and inspect the valve train. Definitely would not run the engine again as to not cause further damage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you think spark plug debris falling in the engine would cause this though or just coincidence?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2006 mustang gt auto with 90k miles all the sudden felt like it wants to stall and now makes this tapping noise. Like metal to metal sound.kinda loud.
When I rev it you hear get faster and louder.

sorry to hear this matter, but Hey it could be other things. have you heard the sound around the exhaust manifolds because perhaps its an exhaust leak from a blown exhaust manifold leak. that can sound like a tapping sound, I know i've had one on my cobra jet. my .02worth.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts