Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What engine temp do you guys usually run at. Mine doesnt go muh over 150 degrees. Is that ok or should it be higher, i heard that if your engine temp is to low, it could hurt your engine and gas mileage. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I believe that is the norm for the 6ers.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
What engine temp do you guys usually run at. Mine doesnt go muh over 150 degrees. Is that ok or should it be higher, i heard that if your engine temp is to low, it could hurt your engine and gas mileage. Any ideas would be great. Thanks
how far do you usually drive?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
How do you know it is at 150?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
Normal city driving and on the weekends i usually let it eat if i can, but i normally take it easy (to save on gas)
YEah, I was wondering the same thing.

If you do a lot of short temps, your engine may run long enough to warm up. There was a guy who did the same thing in his truck . . . Never changed his oil, 'cept maybe once a year.

He changed it himself once and found out his crankcase was full of water, because he never boiled it out of the engine oil!!!

his truck never got warm enough to get rid of the condensation.

So yeah, it hurts your longevity & your mileage, -if that's the case.

But my car only has a temperature range, not a true gauge. How do you know how hot your car gets?

·
Registered
81 Posts
to tell your engine temp you need to put your car in diagnostic mode. put the key in the ignition, hold down the odometer reset button, turn the key to the accessory on position, and when the odometer digital readout say's "test", let go of the button. from there if you tap the reset button it'll switch between your speed, tach, oil, fuel, temp, etc.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
PancakeOfDoom said:
to tell your engine temp you need to put your car in diagnostic mode. put the key in the ignition, hold down the odometer reset button, turn the key to the accessory on position, and when the odometer digital readout say's "test", let go of the button. from there if you tap the reset button it'll switch between your speed, tach, oil, fuel, temp, etc.
I always wondered how that worked!

Someone should put this in a sticky!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an autometer gauge hooked up on my a-piller and the temp never gets much higher than 150. I drive 2 1/2 hours at 80mph every weekend so i think it would get hotter then 150

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
I have an autometer gauge hooked up on my a-piller and the temp never gets much higher than 150. I drive 2 1/2 hours at 80mph every weekend so i think it would get hotter then 150
Are you sure the calibration is correct?

Did you buy your car new?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
ya, it should be because even the gauge on the dash reads on the lower side of normal. No, i got it used
ahhhhh-hah!!!

Wildcard!!

Do you know who had the car before?

Try doing the diagnostic thing and see what your computer says it is!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't, I dont have a digital read-out for my odometer.

kscoyote said:
ahhhhh-hah!!!

Wildcard!!

Do you know who had the car before?

Try doing the diagnostic thing and see what your computer says it is!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
I can't, I dont have a digital read-out for my odometer.
Well, seeing as how it's used, someone may have put a 160* thermostat in the car, or it may just be stuck.

Somehow, you have to be able to cerify the numbers from your gauge before you go forward with some kind of investigation -I don't know how difficult changing the thermostat is. On my 302, it was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i have an 87 stang and it was a 4banger swap to 5.0 and she always stays cool the thermostat stays around 160 and thats when i take long and short rides should that be normal??iam not running rich or anything k thanks

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
MUSTANG Sal 87 said:
i have an 87 stang and it was a 4banger swap to 5.0 and she always stays cool the thermostat stays around 160 and thats when i take long and short rides should that be normal??iam not running rich or anything k thanks
On an 87, 160 is fine. It's computer and internals on modern cars that harm it running that cool.,

·
Registered
273 Posts
but the thermostat says it opens at 191 degrees but how can it open if it doesnt get that hot??

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
MUSTANG Sal 87 said:
but the thermostat says it opens at 191 degrees but how can it open if it doesnt get that hot??

Could be stuck open?

·
Registered
273 Posts
ic iamgoin to buy a new one and let u guys know if anythign changed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.