Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I first start my car the engine has a loud tick for the first two or three minutes of driving once i go down the road for maybe half a mile or even less the tick is gone and if i turn the engine off for maybe five minutes or so the tick will return when i start it back up...ive been told its most likely a lifter tick and ive used snake oil treatments and put fresh synthetic in it with no real results. Just wondering if it could be anything else and if it will be an easy fix because right now i dont have the money to replace lifters or anything like that any help would be greatly appreciated

R

·
0 Posts
Can you tell us where the sound is coming from?

These engines are notorious for having cracked passenger side exhaust manifolds. Those crop up as a mysterious tick on start-up as gases escape before the metal heats up and expands.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I let my friend drive it it sounded like it was coming from the drivers side and most people that ride with me say it sounds like it's coming from the drivers side...that's why I thought it was a lifter since a few posts said drivers side tick=lifter

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
483 Posts
What Redlyr said. Before you start it up in the AM, pop the hood, than see if you can get a more exact location by standing outside the car and listening.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been sitting a couple hours so I'll try that and see If I can locate where it's coming from...is there anyway I can locate where the exhaust leak is If that's what it ends up being?

R

·
0 Posts
It's been sitting a couple hours so I'll try that and see If I can locate where it's coming from...is there anyway I can locate where the exhaust leak is If that's what it ends up being?

Look on the manifold and see if you can see any soot build up around the flange or where the pipes are welded. They are stainless steel so it should be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tick is coming from the left side and I checked for soot couldn't really see any bad buildup or anything

·
Registered
506 Posts
next time get your hand close to the manifold and feel for a hot breeze, ideally you would get a buddy to plug up the exhaust with a rag, this will exaggerate any exhaust leaks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I can locate the leak what would be the next step? Could it just be theyve come loose over time and everything needs some tightening up

R

·
0 Posts
If I can locate the leak what would be the next step? Could it just be theyve come loose over time and everything needs some tightening up

If it is cracked, a local shop can take off the manifold and weld it up. That is usually a $50 job.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll definitely do a more in depth check tomorrow and see If I can find the leak and get it fixed up...thanks for the help it's greatly appreciated

M

·
0 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing, but i believe mine emanates from the power steering pump, not the head or exhaust, interested to see what yours comes out as.

·
Registered
11 Posts
had the same thing happen to me.. had the passenger side welded and fix but still heard the sound turns out the drivers side did the same thing and cracked under where the flange meets the downpipe couldnt see until took exhaust manifold off. welded that side too and wow couldnt believe how good it sounds now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah Ford power steering pumps love to be noisy mine has an annoying whine...so sounds like I'll end up taking the manifold off and inspecting it for cracks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts