Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this talk of engine ticks may have me paranoid. Never mind the 5.0,
I just noticeed a tick on my 2012 v6. It is audible at idle, sounds like tick tick tick.... then a pause then tick tick tick pause etc.. It can only be heard on the drivers side through the wheel well or from underneath. . You cannot hear it from the top of the engine. Anyone else notice this ?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Can you describe the timing of the tick more precisely? Does it only occur on cold start? Does it go away after a few minutes?

YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang V6 3.7 Engine Tick‬‏

This is what mine sounded like on cold start before they modified the cam caps.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the tick doesnt go away once the engine is warm. It is a tick tick tick tick. Then a few seconds pause and tick tick tick tick, then a few seconds pause and tick tick tick tick . Since I can only hear it from the drivers wheel well or underneath, I suspect it is coming out of the exhaust. It is not overly load, but is a definate tick that you cannot hear at all from the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Is your oil level nominal?

Hopefully it is nothing too serious.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes , oil is at full mark. Engine has 900 kilometers or about 500 miles to the American guys. I dont think it is a serious ticking sound, just an annoying one. The car is going in to dealer soon to take care of another matter, nmaybe I will ask if a mechanic can listen to it

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
All this talk of engine ticks may have me paranoid. Never mind the 5.0,
I just noticeed a tick on my 2012 v6. It is audible at idle, sounds like tick tick tick.... then a pause then tick tick tick pause etc.. It can only be heard on the drivers side through the wheel well or from underneath. . You cannot hear it from the top of the engine. Anyone else notice this ?
I think my car was on the train with yours. Time to go stick my head in the wheel well too !! (being the internet sheep that i am).

What other issue are you going to the dealer for?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im getting the rear deck blackout panel replaced, they put it on crooked. Also getting side window louvers redone they oversprayed the paint onto the backside. Doesnt look good from inside the car. Maybe im picky. But its my "new" car right ?:winks

PS I had no intention of sticking my head in the wheel well either. Wasnt even thinking about a noises, or the internet fables, that is until i started the car in the garage today and heard a well, ticking noise.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I only notice a flutter type of sound (not quite ticking sound?) on the driver's side, in the wheel well. It does sound different than the passenger's side. Not sure if this is normal.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im getting the rear deck blackout panel replaced, they put it on crooked. Also getting side window louvers redone they oversprayed the paint onto the backside. Doesnt look good from inside the car. Maybe im picky. But its my "new" car right ?:winks

PS I had no intention of sticking my head in the wheel well either. Wasnt even thinking about a noises, or the internet fables, that is until i started the car in the garage today and heard a well, ticking noise.
Maybe a golf cart would be more apropriate?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont golf:hihi:

yes Jazzcat it is on the drivers side and the engine has to warm up. I put a stethescope on the engine but havent pinpointed it yet.
I know , so lets hear from the peanut gallery

F

·
0 Posts
Well the tick doesnt go away once the engine is warm. It is a tick tick tick tick. Then a few seconds pause and tick tick tick tick, then a few seconds pause and tick tick tick tick . Since I can only hear it from the drivers wheel well or underneath, I suspect it is coming out of the exhaust. It is not overly load, but is a definate tick that you cannot hear at all from the passenger side.
Hey randeez11,

Have you been able to contact Ford of Canada about this? I would like for you to do so, this way they can escalate this concern and get it resolved.

Deysha

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deysha. Sent you a private message.

F

·
0 Posts
I only notice a flutter type of sound (not quite ticking sound?) on the driver's side, in the wheel well. It does sound different than the passenger's side. Not sure if this is normal.
Hello Jazzcat,

I recommend you to please bring this issue to the attention of your dealer and make sure there is nothing wrong. If you need further assistance, please contact Ford of Canada at 1-800-565-3673.

Deysha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts