Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basic...'89 mustang LX 2.3L non turbo, fuel injected
already replaced the following:
fuel pump (aftermarket outside tank mount)
fuel filter
fuel lines from tank to pump, to filter
fuel pressure regulater
new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor

Stopped to get gas on the way home one night, when i went to leave the car wouldn't start. First thought was spark so I pulled a plug and checked everything. They were bad looking and burnt so i went ahead and change plugs,wires, cap, and rotor ( cap and rotor were also looking rough so I said what the h***). Still no start. Check spark by removing plug and grounding it while jump solinoid and got nice blue spark so I know that that prt of the equation is in good working order. Next step check fuel flow at the fuel rail by the schrader value. NO flow coming out. Replaced fuel filter and notice that small metel shavings coming out of the old filter. Still no flow to the motor. Check power to fuel pump and not getting anything, interia switch checks out fine so I bypass and ran direct power to fuel pump, still nothing. Bought and added external fuel pump between tank and filter, still no flow. Went ahead and drop the tank, removed the old pump (it was shot, you could see bearings jammed up against the side), hooked it all back up and repalce lines up to filter. check flow at fuel rail, and the gas flows, still no start. Motor turns and tries but nothing. On advice from a guy at work who tinkers with imports he recommanded changing fuel pressure regulater, still nothing. Running out of ideas plus a 3 hour and 3 buses to get back and forth to work instead of 40 minute drive it started to suck a**. Any help or ideas would be welcomed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Sam's Stang said:
basic...'89 mustang LX 2.3L non turbo, fuel injected
already replaced the following:
fuel pump (aftermarket outside tank mount)
fuel filter
fuel lines from tank to pump, to filter
fuel pressure regulater
new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor

Stopped to get gas on the way home one night, when i went to leave the car wouldn't start. First thought was spark so I pulled a plug and checked everything. They were bad looking and burnt so i went ahead and change plugs,wires, cap, and rotor ( cap and rotor were also looking rough so I said what the h***). Still no start. Check spark by removing plug and grounding it while jump solinoid and got nice blue spark so I know that that prt of the equation is in good working order. Next step check fuel flow at the fuel rail by the schrader value. NO flow coming out. Replaced fuel filter and notice that small metel shavings coming out of the old filter. Still no flow to the motor. Check power to fuel pump and not getting anything, interia switch checks out fine so I bypass and ran direct power to fuel pump, still nothing. Bought and added external fuel pump between tank and filter, still no flow. Went ahead and drop the tank, removed the old pump (it was shot, you could see bearings jammed up against the side), hooked it all back up and repalce lines up to filter. check flow at fuel rail, and the gas flows, still no start. Motor turns and tries but nothing. On advice from a guy at work who tinkers with imports he recommanded changing fuel pressure regulater, still nothing. Running out of ideas plus a 3 hour and 3 buses to get back and forth to work instead of 40 minute drive it started to suck a**. Any help or ideas would be welcomed.

Well, you've got two of the four things you need covered.

Spark & fuel, so you've got two things missing.

Air & timing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...thanks for fast response....figure that link would work


any ideas how timing might have messed up. all that changed from time it worked to nothing was putting gas in the car and as for air is there a easy way to check for this or maybe a sensor going (MAF maybe?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Sam's Stang said:
ok...thanks for fast response....figure that link would work


any ideas how timing might have messed up. all that changed from time it worked to nothing was putting gas in the car and as for air is there a easy way to check for this or maybe a sensor going (MAF maybe?)
The timing belt may have jumped, stretched, worn out, or may have a chipped tooth, same goes for the distributor.

I don't know if those used a timing chain or belt.

To check for air flow, remove the filter and see if it's pulling anything in. If it's pulling it in, it may be a bad MAF/S or whatever it used a tthe time.

Check your fuses, too. I think there's a set in the engine compartment as well as in the car . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
crank shaft position sensor? It will usually crank but wont start
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After waiting a fews days and between rainstorms and work I manged to check into what has been advised. Here are the results:

Doubled checking timing marks on crank and cam shafts. Both sets line up on TDC and rotor pointing on the #1 plug, still turns but not catching.

This should leave an air issue which I tracked down somewhat. I pulled the whole air flow assembly off from filter box up to the throttle body. checked to see if anything might have been clogged in it and saw nothing. I then place my hand over the air intake opening on the throttle body and tried to start to it to see ifI was getting air pulled in. AND I BE DA**ED, the car started. By leaving jsut a small gap between my fingers over the throttle body I can get it started and running for a minute or so. so the question is....


What sensor(s) are shot on the air intake side of the equation and how do I go about checking them.

I was thinking M.A.F sensor but I can't seem to find one located anywhere on the air tubing to the throttle body. M.A.P sensor maybe? a choke sensor? or even the choke?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Sam's Stang said:
After waiting a fews days and between rainstorms and work I manged to check into what has been advised. Here are the results:

Doubled checking timing marks on crank and cam shafts. Both sets line up on TDC and rotor pointing on the #1 plug, still turns but not catching.

This should leave an air issue which I tracked down somewhat. I pulled the whole air flow assembly off from filter box up to the throttle body. checked to see if anything might have been clogged in it and saw nothing. I then place my hand over the air intake opening on the throttle body and tried to start to it to see ifI was getting air pulled in. AND I BE DA**ED, the car started. By leaving jsut a small gap between my fingers over the throttle body I can get it started and running for a minute or so. so the question is....


What sensor(s) are shot on the air intake side of the equation and how do I go about checking them.

I was thinking M.A.F sensor but I can't seem to find one located anywhere on the air tubing to the throttle body. M.A.P sensor maybe? a choke sensor? or even the choke?

yeah, I don't know that much about the 4s.

TPS sensor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok new TPS sensor and new MAP sensor, still no start. Can anybody with 2.3 knowledge please give me a hand. Thanks to Kscoyote for the help so far but like he says he not much of a 4 banger man.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Sam's Stang said:
ok new TPS sensor and new MAP sensor, still no start. Can anybody with 2.3 knowledge please give me a hand. Thanks to Kscoyote for the help so far but like he says he not much of a 4 banger man.

Shoot mustangtk a PM.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top