Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 65 Mustang GT one week ago. Was running great.
Pulled into garage other day, turned it off as always.
Went to start again, and now it won’t start. Starter is new, battery new, lights and fan work, just won’t turn over all of a sudden?? Not even a clicking noise.
Any suggestions on what to look at here? It fires up when I hold screw driver in 2 different spots.
Please help, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
welcome to AFM!

I’d check the starter relay first.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
Ignition Switch / and check all wiring and cabling including ground wiring.

The starter not activating has nothing to do with the ignition coil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ignition Switch / and check all wiring and cabling including ground wiring.

The starter not activating has nothing to do with the ignition coil.
Thank you for responding. The starter is working, I’m at a loss. Will check ignition switch.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
Thank you for responding. The starter is working, I’m at a loss. Will check ignition switch.
Make sure you have a solid connection in the ground circuit before anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you turn the key and can hear the starter motor trying to turn the engine over, the lack of power is likely caused by electrical issues such as a weak battery, dirty battery terminals, or a worn starter motor.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Be sure to check the grounds where they attach to the engine, etc. and inspect the ends of the cable for corrosion even up into the insulation a little. It can be pretty sneaky! New battery wires aren't that expensive, if yours are all grotty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you turn the key and can hear the starter motor trying to turn the engine over, the lack of power is likely caused by electrical issues such as a weak battery, dirty battery terminals, or a worn starter motor.
Got it thank you! All set

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be sure to check the grounds where they attach to the engine, etc. and inspect the ends of the cable for corrosion even up into the insulation a little. It can be pretty sneaky! New battery wires aren't that expensive, if yours are all grotty.
Got it thanks! All set

1 - 11 of 11 Posts