Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I did some work to my car over the past few months (wire tuck, battery relocation, turbo kit) and today I go to start her up and the engine won't crank and there's a burning smell coming from the starter. I'm thinking the wires on the solenoid might me crossed or something like that. I have the thick black wire from the starter on one post and the rest of the wires on the other, and one little thin wire with a boot on the small top post. Starter and starter solenoid are both under a year old and the battery is brand new (if that even matters) please help this is very frustrating!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey guys I did some work to my car over the past few months (wire tuck, battery relocation, turbo kit) and today I go to start her up and the engine won't crank and there's a burning smell coming from the starter. I'm thinking the wires on the solenoid might me crossed or something like that. I have the thick black wire from the starter on one post and the rest of the wires on the other, and one little thin wire with a boot on the small top post. Starter and starter solenoid are both under a year old and the battery is brand new (if that even matters) please help this is very frustrating!!
Take the starter put of the car and put the positive and negative leads on the battery. I should spin up real fast. And if it does spin its good to go. Then you'd most likely have a bad starter solennoid. I had mine burn up a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
220 Posts
may seem trivial but... put a wrench on the harmonic balancer and check to make sure the motor didn't seize, with the turbos and no background on the motor, it can happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know for a fact the motor didnt seize, the car ran in march (no turbo) when I first started the build, now this is my first attempt trying to start it since then

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I found out I had two wires switched so now the starter doesn't burn up and smell anymore. But I still have the same problem. It won't crank when I turn the key, but will start when I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver

1 - 5 of 5 Posts