Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '84 LX convertible since it was almost new. It only gets driven about 3-4 thousand miles each year, and seldom on long trips, so the cruise control doesn't get much use. The last time I tried to use it, which was the first time in about a year, it wouldn't hold a constant speed. When set on 70 mph it would hold for a while, then slow to about 55, then speed up to as much as 85 before slowing again. Does anyone know what might cause this?
It's a carburated 5.0 5spd. I put a GT40P engine in it last year, with cam, headers and off road exhaust, and pulled all emission controls off. I wouldn't think any of that would effect the cruise control, but ???

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Check the vacuum line. It's possible that the CC servo is on its way out, too.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Check that the vacuum ball for the cruise holds. The servo can be tested also using a vacuum pump. You can also test the lines with the vacuum pump also. I guess you need a vacuum hand pump. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do I need to have access to the servo in order to test it, and if so, what is the easiest way to get to it? It's apparently located behind the fender well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.