Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I had a check engine light on and got a code reader. The code that came from the KOEO test was error code 14. In the book it says "The Electronic Control Assembly (ECA) has detected an intermittent loss of Profile Ignition Pick-Up (PIP) signal during recent operation." Can anyone explain what that means, and how to possibly go about trouble shooting it? The check engine light only comes on after driving the car for a while. Once it comes on the car seems to run normal. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know that sometimes when the ignition module is bad or going bad sometimes that code appears.
Could be the connectors on you ECU dirty or corroded. If you change the ignition module you midas well change the pickup coil and if you change the pick up you midas well change the distributor. Which if you ask me when at that point go ahead and do a tune up spark plugs wires ect.
Worst case senerio your ECU is going bad but I doubt it. Unless theres other things going on that would lead you to think that. But my #1 guess for code 14 is ignition module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could I just start off by changing the ignition module and seeing if the check engine light stays off? Where is the ignition module located?

·
Registered
246 Posts
You could it's located on the distributor. You need a special tool to take out the bolts Ford dealers have it. You might want to mark where the distributor is sitting too because you may nees to turn it alil to get the module bolts out. Of course moving it will mess up the timing so mark the location. Also be careful pulling the module out it slides straight down when you take the bolts out if you do it at an angle you'll break the three teeth that slide into the pick up area. good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally got around to replacing the TFI module. Unfortunately that was not the problem as the code is still being sent to the computer. I guess that means it's the actual PIP, so should I go ahead and replace the distributor? Can you replace the PIP without replacing the distributor? If not where is a good place to buy a replacement distributor? Would Autozone do?

·
Registered
62 Posts
check advance first, they might have one cheaper. You can find them without the ICM, too so you don't have to pay twice for them. You can replace just the PIP sensor but it's a pain from what i hear and the whole distributor minus the ICM isn't that expensive anyway, and it one bolt to replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.