Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got an estimate for painting two big flat black panels, with pinstripe accents, on the hood of my Mustang. One estimate was for 500 bucks, the other was for 400 bucks. I believe both of these shops will do quality work, do any of you have an opinion as to the legitimacy of the 400 estimate? Is it too high, or is it OK. I have already gathered 309 so I just need to get another hundred to get the job done. Here's what it would look like but on my windveil blue hood:

mustang hood.jpg

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'd do the rest of the Car also and go Vinal. Most Pain Shops have the Paint to do the work, so in all reality the Pain cost would only be around $30, the rest is Labor.
Im lucky as I know a couple of good Paint Guys who work for Delears or have there own shops, so if I need it I get it done Cheap.
Dont Sacrafice Price over Quality, find a good Paint Guy and go to him, ask around who's the Best then go from there.

·
Registered
712 Posts
$30 for paint? no not at all. maybe for the black base they will use but thats about it.

but i would go vinyl anyway because the matte black stripe will be based and cleared and since its a matte and not a gloss they cant clear the whole hood and it will leave a very hard tape line, vinyl will look better and can be removed it desired.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All, thanks for your input, It seems you all agree the 400 dollar price is not unreasonable.

I wanted to go with paint vice vinyl because the hood is the hottest part of the car, when running, and the hood also gets maximum California sunshine so I am afraid the vinyl would look pretty beat after a year or two. I like the look of big panels on the hood vice rally strip style. Humboldt Stang has a similar treatment on his Windveil Blue Mustang hood and it looks great. His is vinyl though and, I'm sure, cost a lot less than 400.

Bottom line, I just feel more comfortable going with the most durable finish and I just don't believe vinyl will provide that.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
$30 for paint? no not at all. maybe for the black base they will use but thats about it.

but i would go vinyl anyway because the matte black stripe will be based and cleared and since its a matte and not a gloss they cant clear the whole hood and it will leave a very hard tape line, vinyl will look better and can be removed it desired.
Mabey if the whole Hood was being painted it would be more. But If you have the Black, the Clear Coat and Hardner, ect and figure out the total amount used it's not that much.
But if You had to Buy a Pint of Black a Pint of Clear and a Quart of Hardner then it would be definately more than $30, Paint, Clear Coat and Hardener goes a long way! Most Paint Shops have all the stuff needed to do the Job, and Im sure what they have was used on other things and is left over.

·
Registered
712 Posts
its a good portion of the hood being painted, $30 is a stretch i paint at a bodyshop and clear doesnt go that far lol. if he has an estimate it will tell him what he would be charged for.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I dunno how it is in Cali but when Ford releases models with hood stripes like my 40th anni it does them stock from the factory in vinyl so it can't be expected to peel off or look like **** after a while or else they'd use something better from the factory. My 40th still looks like new after the 6 years it's been alive

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Try vinyl for now. You will probably get 5 years minimum out of it & then go for paint if it starts looking beat.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I am going to get one more estimate for paint and also get an estimate for Vinyl from a company nearby that does vehicle wraps, etc.
The vinyl I used for my illustration is from a company called Baltimore Street Mods and costs a little over 100 with shipping. It also comes with the windshield washer nozzles already cut out. That sames some time. If I go with that and do a self install, I will have another 200 for some other upgrades, like the GT-Style spoiler. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.