Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the latest edition of "Modified Mustangs & Fords"? The feature car is a gray 1965 fastback owned by Bob Bell out of Arizona. This car is very close to what I'm hoping to build one day. From a body and interior standpoint, it's reasonably stock (minus subtle upgrades - i.e. corbeau seats, slightly modified dash, modified cowl vents, valnaces, etc.).

From a performance standpoint, it has major upgrades (e.g. Smeding 427 crate engine, Tremec TKO-600, RRS 9-inch rearend, RRS front and rear suspension, Baer extreme brake system, etc...). One noticeable difference...I'd rather start with a dynacorn 1967 stamped body as opposed to restoring an older car.

To my question...I realize there are hundreds of variables that go into building this type of car - not the least of which is labor costs. It would take days to list them all. With that said, what's a ballpark figure for what a person would have to pay to have a reputable/qualified shop build this type of car? Just ballpark...not looking for exact quotes.

Just starting to dream a little, and wanted to get a realistic sense for how much my future dream may cost.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I always like the old saying if you have to have someone build a car for you and you have to ask how much then you aint got enough. The question is how much are you willing to spend. Then someone will tell you what you can get for that amount. You just named off about 40 grand in parts you want to put on it. And those will barely get you started.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Agreed, you would be looking at close to 6 figures to get the car Bob Bell has if you did it through a shop. Quite a bit less if you do most of the work yourself. Its the labor charges at $80/hr that will eat you alive. That motor alone is nearly $15K.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I happened to be parked next to Bob Bell's 65 at a recent Goodguys show in Scottsdale - translation: mine did not get much attention! That is one fine automobile and makes your heart skip when it starts up:gringreen

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
if you got the car you wanted for 50k it would be an amazing deal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have a 70 coupe and have done 90% of the work, the other 10% goes to friends and family[free labor] and the paint shop. i have replaced metal, did body work, and all the hard work you typically end up investing into an old mustang or car. i have $10,000 in parts, and im another $10-15 away from reaching my goal for my car. average automotive welders start at 60 an hour, and like the other guy said, its close to 100 or more an hour per person. most shops have 5-10+ and chances are that a good portion of them will work on it at some time or another. i spent 3 grand at the body and paint shop and yes i got a great paint job but without me doing a lot of the body work the price was closer t0 7,000. so while i am modifying my car to be sleeper and have done some sneaky mods, i have not done anything over the top. the dynocorn shells are like 17-19+ grand, thats not including front sheet metal, suspension, interior, drive train, electrical, glass, weatherstripping, hardware, lights, exhaust, maybe doors and trunks,oh ya maybe a vin/ttile, etc. so the most cost effective thing woud be to take a parts car and swap parts, maybe the vin/title, etc. so ya just to get a shell to be complete would cost you 10-20 grand without installation fees if you had it done at a shop, not including the paint/body work, anything else that might have to be fabricated, plus what ever you wanted to do to modify it. yes it would be so cool to have a car that was what you wanted, but after spending between $50,000-$100,000 then 1. id be too scared to drive it, 2. id be out a ton of money, 3. it would become a trailer queen and that totally defeats the purpose of owning a car. so id say that you would be better off buying a car that has already been built and enjoy it that way and potentially start from there or just start from scratch and build it the way you want it. either way before you get committed you need to know what you want and how much you want to spend. trust me, i didnt stop and think and i just saw a cool car and bought it, looked good but it was a mess. so ya i get the new shell concept but thats just as much work if not more. good luck man!:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really appreciate the responses. I could see the "smirks" as I wrote the initial thread. It wouldn't be a dream if it wasn't a challenge...right?

As one poster mentioned, I was expecting the parts to be in the 45-50K range. That can be guestimated somewhat fairly with prices online, etc. The labor is the unknown. The hourly rates tend to be $80-100/hour...that's fairly standard. How much time is involved? That's the million dollar question. Thanks for everyone's input - I knew it was an impossible question to answer, but it's fun asking anyway.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Time? hundreds and hundreds of hours. I'm on my third year of my restoration, doing 99% of it myself.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Double that 50K on parts easily if you farm the work out to a shop. Think how much you would accomplish on an average day and that would be $640-800! Multiply that by days in the shop and you quickly have a huge whole in your wallet. On the other hand, if you have deep pockets then go for it - and send pics when she's done:gringreen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more random, but somewhat related question...is it conceivable that a 67 mustang tricked out (as noted above) can compete with the new 2012 boss with respect to performance (i.e. speed, handling, etc.)? Just thinking out loud. Thanks for feedback.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I have a 68 coupe with a 600hp small block and i can beat my gf 04 cobra no problem.These early mustangs are light next to the brand new ones so its easier to make a fast one.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
One more random, but somewhat related question...is it conceivable that a 67 mustang tricked out (as noted above) can compete with the new 2012 boss with respect to performance (i.e. speed, handling, etc.)? Just thinking out loud. Thanks for feedback.
In a straight line for 1320', yes. thats about it. you just can not make the older car handle better without literally throwing away EVERYTHING about the original suspension. and even then. you still have a car that has a crappy weight distribution and is nowhere near as aerodynamic and rigid as a modern car

·
Registered
397 Posts
If one were to go out and spend that much, I'd just buy an already restored car...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I've got 2340 (estimated) hours in my car. Probably more. The car should be done this year. I did not rebuild the rear end or the transmission, but every thing else I did.

That's $187,200 in labor @ 80$/hour. I'm no expert, so I'm probably pretty slow and not worth 80$/hour, but even at a discount rate of 20$/hour = $46,800. whoooooo!

And my parts bill is in the upper 20's with tires, stereo, & exhaust left to buy.

Take the $1000 or so out that I paid for sheet metal and add in the cost of a full dynacorn body and you got a lot of jack. I love to build cars and I know that I'll never get 6 figures for my coupe, but I love to build cars (did I say that already?). So, you better LOVE to pay other people to build your car or you'll end up like a lot of folks who start the project and bail at a loss halfway through.

It's good advice to buy a completed car and make the changes you want. Look at my ride, for example, at 20$/hour and my parts bill, I'll have close to 6 figures in it and might get 20-30K if I were to (hold out for that one crazy buyer and) sell it. There's a lot of savings there for the new owner to repaint, rebuild, etc, to their liking.

AND it's so much faster than the 3 years it's taken me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts