Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few days I am going to see someone's 2007 V6 coupe. It has 140k miles but the transmission has been replaced recently (not sure exactly how many miles on it). The windows have been tinted and it was just recently repainted in performance white. The interior is leather seats with two tone black and cream. It looks like its been garage kept and I saw a disability permit in the windshield which possibly means it wasn't rough housed.

Things I saw wrong with it are a non-seam tear in the drivers seat, what looks to be water stains in the carpet on the passenger front and back side, a missing hubcap on one of the wheels. I assume the water stains are from the infamous vent problem but I know from this forum that is easy to prevent in the future.

What would y'all value a car like this as being worth, assuming there are no other hidden problems? Asking because I don't have any first hand experience with mustangs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With that kind of mileage and years, I might be interested at maybe $2,000.
Interesting! Is that because of the water damage? The Kelly Bluebook value appears to be between 3605 and 5300. I know that value is not always accurate but curious why you would value it so low? I am looking on craigslist and offerup and the prices for cars with this kind of mileage/year are a lot higher than $2000.

I am just trying to get an idea of what would be a reasonable average price to pay. This is a florida car by the way, so not really any rust problems.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Paint job is nice and all mustang back seats look new. They don't get used. No one can fit back there. Lol
It's a 13 year old car with 140k. They admitted to transmission problems. You really don't know what else is lying under the surface. You have that 13 year old engine to wonder about along with the breaks and suspension. Are the tires good?
Don't get fooled by the shiny stuff.

Az.dsrt is on to something. If you start at 2k and they start at say 4, then you can meat at 3 which is more reasonable to me than Kelly blue book value.

Reactions: huberoy123

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paint job is nice and all mustang back seats look new. They don't get used. No one can fit back there. Lol
It's a 13 year old car with 140k. They admitted to transmission problems. You really don't know what else is lying under the surface. You have that 13 year old engine to wonder about along with the breaks and suspension. Are the tires good?
Don't get fooled by the shiny stuff.

Az.dsrt is on to something. If you start at 2k and they start at say 4, then you can meat at 3 which is more reasonable to me than Kelly blue book value.
Yeah good point, i’m sure the suspension sucks lol. This car has been listed for over 2 months.

Do y’all think those stains in the front and back passenger side look like water stains or something else?

But also, isn’t a new tranny good? My parents own two fords of similar years to this and both of them have required new transmissions. I figure it’s inevitable and is a bonus if it has been replaced and has less miles on it? I won’t spin it like that when I see it but just curious what your thoughts are haha

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
New tyranny is nice but doesn't increase the value of a car. It's part of general maintainance that's required of ALL cars while we own them. It usually doesn't go well during negotiations when the owner is trying to recoup his money for every part that needed replaced over the years he or she owned it.
The water marks seam to be coming from the drive train tunnel, both front and back. Possibly thrown up while driving in the rain.
Tracking water leaks sux. I'd shove some terry cloth towels up under the plastic and see if they get wet while sitting in the rain or driving.
I'll try to do a search later in your 07 V6 section to see if this is a common leaking point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New tyranny is nice but doesn't increase the value of a car. It's part of general maintainance that's required of ALL cars while we own them. It usually doesn't go well during negotiations when the owner is trying to recoup his money for every part that needed replaced over the years he or she owned it.
The water marks seam to be coming from the drive train tunnel, both front and back. Possibly thrown up while driving in the rain.
Tracking water leaks sux. I'd shove some terry cloth towels up under the plastic and see if they get wet while sitting in the rain or driving.
I'll try to do a search later in your 07 V6 section to see if this is a common leaking point.
I see what your saying about the transmission. Okay about the leak that would make sense, i’ll try to look into that more. I am seeing it Monday so until then just trying to research every talking point possible.

·
2,805 Posts
The stains from where they are and color look like drink stains really. The front seats especially the driver seats look rough. I certainly wouldn't call this a garage queen by any stretch. Why was it painted? Garage queens don't need paint and the interiors are clean. Not trying to bash this car, but it would be a pass personally and I can see why it has been listed so long. Mustangs are plentiful and I have learned over the years never settle as the perfect one you are looking for is out there you just have to look a little further than you might like, but it is there.

For this I think 2-3K is more than fair based on condition and all. A clean one might bring that book value you mentioned, but this is far from clean.

Good luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stains from where they are and color look like drink stains really. The front seats especially the driver seats look rough. I certainly wouldn't call this a garage queen by any stretch. Why was it painted? Garage queens don't need paint and the interiors are clean. Not trying to bash this car, but it would be a pass personally and I can see why it has been listed so long. Mustangs are plentiful and I have learned over the years never settle as the perfect one you are looking for is out there you just have to look a little further than you might like, but it is there.

For this I think 2-3K is more than fair based on condition and all. A clean one might bring that book value you mentioned, but this is far from clean.

Good luck on your hunt!
True the whole interior is a little worse for wear. What you said about the paint got me wondering, why would you paint a 13 year old car? Like that has got to cost minimum $1k and there's no way it would increase resale value more than 1k.

·
2,805 Posts
True the whole interior is a little worse for wear. What you said about the paint got me wondering, why would you paint a 13 year old car? Like that has got to cost minimum $1k and there's no way it would increase resale value more than 1k.
I am just wondering why they need to repaint a 13 year old car. If well taken care of the paint would be fine.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Any updates on the car Sally?:)
We're not trying to talk you out of it. We just want you to be able to approach this purchase with all the ammo we can offer to help you out and to remember, don't fall in love with the first one that catches your eye.
When I'm looking for a car, I usually have about 3 that I'm interested in. If the first doesn't pan out, I move to the second.
You have to be willing to walk away.
Good luck!

Reactions: MustangLife

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any updates on the car Sally?:)
We're not trying to talk you out of it. We just want you to be able to approach this purchase with all the ammo we can offer to help you out and to remember, don't fall in love with the first one that catches your eye.
When I'm looking for a car, I usually have about 3 that I'm interested in. If the first doesn't pan out, I move to the second.
You have to be willing to walk away.
Good luck!
Thanks for asking! No I really appreciate the advice. I ended up getting it after bringing it down from $4300 to $3800. I know that’s still way too much but Im happy given my unique situation.

Unfortunately time was not on my side, I didn’t know I needed a car until a month ago and I was stuck with what was available within 30 miles cause beyond that cost too much in Uber fees to go see it. The other cars I saw in person were in shambles haha. There was one cherry red manual with 100k miles going for $4000 but it got snatched up before I could get my hands on it.

I needed a car in a couple days now for school and I hadn’t seen anything in decent shape in my price range until this came up. It’s not peeling paint and I didn’t feel embarrassed to be driving it like I would if i were forced to buy a civic lol

My budget for a car was $4000 so even though I was honestly taken advantage of I’m really happy to be driving a mustang that was within my budget and I have it in time for school. The good thing is I only need this to serve me for 2-3 years until I have steady income and then i’ll get something nicer. Thanks guys for all the advice!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts