Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
There is a HUGE difference between agressive driving and racing. I tend to drive aggressively to work in the mornings (usually because I'm running late). After my one street racing encounter that left me answering to the police, that was enough for me.

You don't need to "show" that you have a Mustang for people to know that you have a Mustang. Trust me, they know.

Race track, not street. :nono:

·
Registered
3,106 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
drive it like you stole it!! I'm not a maniac, but i do enjoy laying down some rubber when no one else is around me.

·
Registered
626 Posts
just wanted to see how many people race their cars on the street.
Just a word of warning. I don't know why they haven't arrived yet, but get ready to be read your rights by the Truth Squad (think of them as the AFM neighborhood busybodies). They speak in absolutes and their word is golden.

Some people still ignore how monumental the street scene in the 60's was to the popularity & survival of the muscle genre. I personally don't race on the street, but I'm not about to knock those that have fun doing so without causing injuries or deaths.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
drive it like you stole it!! I'm not a maniac, but i do enjoy laying down some rubber when no one else is around me.
Amen brother! :), i get a lil into it when its safe. Noone will be in the car, and if im in a location where i can not injure anyone but myself i dont see it as a problem.

Just a word of warning. I don't know why they haven't arrived yet, but get ready to be read your rights by the Truth Squad (think of them as the AFM neighborhood busybodies). They speak in absolutes and their word is golden.

Some people still ignore how monumental the street scene in the 60's was to the popularity & survival of the muscle genre. I personally don't race on the street, but I'm not about to knock those that have fun doing so without causing injuries or deaths.
That was a valid point, never looked at it that way..hmm

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Well I have to admit I have been known to race a little on the streets. More of a playful thing then anything else. I'll go maybe 20 over the limit, max. Example, my friend and I were heading to a car show the other night. He slows to about 50 in a 65 and I knew what he wanted. So we ran them up to 75 real quick. No one around on the beltway at the time. I guess thats still racing??

I really just prefer the drag strip. If someone really wants to race me then that's where it'll have to be.

M

·
0 Posts
It's just getting so populated here in Jersey... with so many cars on the road these days... it's not a safe thing to do - and the many newspaper articles of innocent people killed while two stooges decide to race on the streets - deters me completely... IMO ~ Times have changed...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Never street race.

Don't even have drag radials for street use, so 0 traction. Think I would be too easy to spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
It's just getting so populated here in Jersey... with so many cars on the road these days... it's not a safe thing to do - and the many newspaper articles of innocent people killed while two stooges decide to race on the streets - deters me completely... IMO ~ Times have changed...
Having been to Jersey I could completely understand! Man that place is ridicules (no offense intended)! I had to go 5 miles out of the way just to make a left turn!! LOL:D

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
dude I live in BC, Canada.... I don't think you quite understand how many animals can come in-front of you here on the road.

With that being said the highway speed limit is 100... you really think you can stop in time even if your doing the limit? i dont think so. Whats another 60 on top of limit:shigrin

Its life.... anything can happen.
When I said 100 I meant mph. The highway speed limit is 55mph, so 100mph is almos double the speed limit.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Some people still ignore how monumental the street scene in the '60s was to the popularity and survival of the muscle car genre.
It's just getting so populated here in Jersey with so many cars on the road these days that it's not a safe thing to do. Times have changed.
Raced on the street many times back in the early '70s. Races were arranged in the parking lots of fast food drive-ins (most notably Skip's La Fiesta on North Avenue). Some would risk racing each other right there along North Avenue. But the better way was to drive down to a divided highway with guardrails preventing side access for long stretches. We'd drive one way looking for police cars and (if there weren't any police present) we'd turn around and slow down to a slow roll and race going the other way.

But Judi is right about times having changed. Suburbs now extend so far out that many people have commutes well over an hour each way just to get to work and back home. Those same roads we used for racing now have traffic on them all hours of the night. It isn't as safe to race on the street now. And the legal penalties are far worse than they were in the old days.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I certainly like to drive fast, sometimes aggressively, but I don't race other cars. If I have some open highway in front of me and not much traffic, I take it up in the 90s fairly regularly, and did get it up to 105 briefly once. I have a radar detector, but if you're going that fast it isn't going to help that much so I don't make a habit of it. Although I enjoy high speeds I don't have a death wish. If you were to hit some debris on the road going 120, you're toast. Not worth it.

However, driving fast by yourself is not racing. It's just driving fast! :D

·
Registered
365 Posts

Agree completely... it's not like I don't 'get on it' once in awhile..but no racing for me around here. It is pretty funny to see a kid pull up next to me and try to get me to race....I look at them like, "do you race your mother?" - Not worth the gas or the possible trouble it can cause.
Back in the day....yes, I did race. But that was another time , another place and another car.......................

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
When I used the term Holier than thou. I wasn't talking about anyone on this site, But my jerk off neighbor is who I was talking about. I agree with most people in that if you do get caught racing you get whats coming to you. If you can't do the time don't do the crime. I to have always been an offensive driver and drive quickly. I've street raced a few times from a rolling start. Never at speeds over 80, almost times you beat them by 2nd gear so I let off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Lost too many friends to street racing. It's always tempting but whoever wants to race has to meet me at the track, pay the $20 for as many runs as you want, and get it out of your system.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.