Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting volts off my solenoid, and my coil is throwing spark to the dist cap. the ignition box is gettin power, its throwin power to teh dist. spark plugs not firing car wont start. its got a 302 in it.
everything seems to be hooked up properly, or well enough so it seems it should be getting fire.
solenoid has 4 prongs with an s and an i in the middle
i know the engines good. and it turns over a good...stumped big time here. been trying to get it going for a while now..

·
Registered
806 Posts
im getting volts off my solenoid, and my coil is throwing spark to the dist cap. the ignition box is gettin power, its throwin power to teh dist. spark plugs not firing car wont start. its got a 302 in it.
everything seems to be hooked up properly, or well enough so it seems it should be getting fire.
solenoid has 4 prongs with an s and an i in the middle
i know the engines good. and it turns over a good...stumped big time here. been trying to get it going for a while now..
ever think about the fuel pump being bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
turns over like a champ. when i take the number 1 plug out it doesnt spark or show anything on the volt meter. but dist is gettin power and so is the coil. im bummin big time...prolly just gana rip all the wires out and try again, cuz its a wire nightmare

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just put a little gas in the carb for now,. i just put the ecentric in. but i think my plunger migght be stuck or a clog in my line somewhere, im more worried about it not sparking for now

·
Registered
806 Posts
i just put a little gas in the carb for now,. i just put the ecentric in. but i think my plunger migght be stuck or a clog in my line somewhere, im more worried about it not sparking for now
So you are getting power to everything just no spark at the plug you have pulled? How old are the wires? If they are old the spark could be arching and this is why you arent getting a spark.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You may also want to check the magnetic pickup in your distributor. I sounds to me like that could be your problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im having some ignition problems..somewhere

bought car had custom 302 with 289 heads, all msd ignition..
guy had chopped up the warning lamps and changed some wiring.

engine blew shortly after, so i dropped in a 1995 302 out of a mustang. the msd wasnt working. so i purchased stock ignition box, solenoid, and distributor. the ignition box has 2 sets of wires,
one set has a red and a white wire, the other set has purple orange black and green. the distributor has 3 wires, purple orange(might be red) and black, so i hooked the purple wire from the ignition box to the distributor, and so on for the orange and black.then i hooked the green wire to the neg side of the coil. then i hooked up the red wire from the other set of wires to 12 v power with the key on, and to the positive side of the coil, and to the solenoid marked I. the white wire is connected to the solenoid marked S.....with key on. when i hook test light up to the positive side of the coil it lights up, when i hook test light to neg side of coil it lights up.
but it seems that the coil isnt throwing spark to dist. cap.cuz when i hook the test light up to the spark plug wire going from the coil to the dist cap it doesnt light up.
when i crank the motor and the test light is hooked up the neg side of the coil, it doesnt blink or flash.

car is getting fuel cuz i can see it in the carb when i hit the throttle.

when i first got the motor in, a guy came over and wired everything up. and it ran for a few days, but everytime i would turn the key on, i could hear the coil jumpin. it would like buzz. and at night you could see it light up. from where the wire plugs into the top, to one of the side mounts. it would jump.
and then the car would start for 10 seconds and die, and eventually it wouldnt start at all, just crank and crank, not fire up.

any help or insight...thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im not getting any spark at my plugs. and it was the coil that would jump. i could see it frm the post to the side mount.. did that fry my coil??

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay so its firing but now when it cranks it doesnt start but when i stop cranking it it like wants to start then shoots like whitish gas out the carb....is this the timing caused from the timing being off??

·
Registered
806 Posts
okay so its firing but now when it cranks it doesnt start but when i stop cranking it it like wants to start then shoots like whitish gas out the carb....is this the timing caused from the timing being off??
Maybe, try adjusting the timing accordingly, make sure you got spark, and make sure there is proper fuel getting to the car as well. if after the timing has been corrected and it still doesnt work, try squirting a LITTLE bit of gas in the carb and see if it fires up for a second. if it does then you may have a fuel problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay so i pulled everything out, coil. duraspark ignition box and the dist. put in the msd pro billet dist. 8356 i think, hooked up from red wire of dist to the postive side of coil and orange wire to the negative side, and grounded the black wire, and it fired right up...set the timing. when it runs it sounds good and runs strong...and doesnt wanna stall or anything..
but then when i shut it off, it wont start for like. 2 or 3 hours. until it completely cools down. if its warm at all it wont start....

i think it may be the battery tho, becuase it corrodes up really fast. like every other day i haev to sand down terminals and the post an everything...there completely black some days...weird right?....would a faulty battery cause these symptoms...?

·
Registered
806 Posts
well a dead battery will not have cause that. If the battery was dead it would be worse at a cold start. and the motor would not turn over at all. The good news is that your car is now working and we can move on from that subject. I had this problem in my camaro, although the problem was in the ignition switch. because gm thought it was a good idea to put a chip in the center of the key for security purposes and for some reason when the car was hot or had been running for a while it would not start. it would turnover but would never fire up. im not sure what your problem is. we need more info on the problem at hand. so far the car starts and runs with no problems but now its hard to start when hot. describe in detail

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
had a problem just like this one ,,the carb was flooding.so i let it sit for awhile then she would fire up again..had the carb rebuilt now it works great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts