Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first thread on here, but I have searched quite a bit and found it a bit confusing because in Canada we have different option standards and I would like to clear up a few things that I (and I am sure other Canadians) would like to know...

I am a young lad who has been considering a Mustang v6 (I really have no need for the added power of the GT) as a daily driver to take me to and from my new office career.

For the time being I am leaning heavily towards the V6 Value leader because, honestly, I cannot find anything to make the difference worth it in my mind.

(In Canada) the price difference is 2500$ (after tax), All I can see that is different is you get emblems, fogs, spoiler, 1" bigger wheels, and a chrome strip on your grille.

In addition to that you unlock the ability to add more options that you cant add on the value leader, such as leather, interior upgrade package with would include chrome accents and lighting inside, shaker 500 radio and sync, and performance package. So really it seems like there is no point in getting premium unless your going to be adding those options right ?

In Canada, and as a daily driver that extra 1" will cost me at least 300$ extra for snow tires too.

My second question is ability to switch from "Normal" to "Sport" driving mode, is that something the Value Leader can do? (or does that come with the interior upgrade package and the new new white gauges?)

Thirdly, in terms of winter driving (sigh, I know there are lots of threads that already but) would the 2.73:1 gears of the VL V6 be a bit easier in the snow?
(You know it being less power from a stand still, might mean you can ease up to speed with less chance of tire spin)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I believe the Sport mode is only for the Performance Package V6's. I went with the Base Mustang and modded what I felt needed upgrading (steering wheel, shifter, shift knob, seats and a much better sound system) and I wouldn't trade my current setup for any premium on the market because it's exactly what I want.

Sit in both and ask yourself if it warrant's the extra bit. You should find your answer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I have been in both, and the only thing I would like, but probably don't NEED is fog lights.

On our Canadian value leader, you cannot add ANY options except automatic. So I can't upgrade anything without first selecting the premium, so for example if i wanted a better radio, it would cost me the 2500$ for the premium then the 500$ for a radio.

As far as I see it, unless I am going to load up on options theres no point...

Thanks for the reply, I am really curious about the gear/snow question haha

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the differences are listed on the Ford website.
Thanks, but the aren't. Maybe on the US site, but the Canadian site is very vague and gives little information. The US site doesn't help at all because the options do not carry across, so knowing whats on the US models means nothing in different country.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I didn't realize there was such a difference between U.S. and Canadian sourced Mustangs. you guys get DRL's and a spare tire, and we don't but for the "Premium" up charge here you get the leather, Shaker 500, Sync, Mycolor, power driver seat and some other options I don't remember. the $995 package adds more stuff like 18" wheels, different grille and some badges and stripes.

if none of that matters to you it sounds like you'd be better off buying the Base V6 model and saving the difference.

good luck on your decisions:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks, but the aren't. Maybe on the US site, but the Canadian site is very vague and gives little information. The US site doesn't help at all because the options do not carry across, so knowing whats on the US models means nothing in different country.
Tell me about it ford canada is horrible with telling the difference. If your wondering about remaining 12 stock I can probably help you with anything you want to know I spent alot of time researching before i bought mine.

basically there are 3 options for a premium you can get.

pony package
standard 18" polished rims
body matched mirrors
floor mats
spoiler
front pony "corral" grill
side running horse badges
auto dimming mirror
fog lights with auto headlamps
power driver seat standard

Mustang Club of America
comes with the 18" dark rrims with polished parts on them (best looking stock wheel)
stainless grill (best looking stock grill imo)
black out vinyl between the taillights
fogs w/auto lamp
floor mats
power driver seat

Performance package (1000$ on top of premium upgrade)
power seat
19" that look similiar to the MCA wheels
upgraded summer only tires
upgraded brake pads
thicker sway bars

There is some value there for your 2500$ dollars but really like you said its there to allow you to option it out which is not available on the value leaders.

All premium models in canada come with 3.31s and value leaders 2.73 as for that helping in winter I would not expect much difference and your tires will play a much bigger part.

For me I had to have the interior upgrade package so I got a pony package.

Really the only things your losing out on are body colour mirror caps, better wheels/tires a different grill, fog lights, and the lack of a spare that the value leaders get.

One ****** thing about not getting the interior upgrade package is you dont get the USB port in the center console so no ipod integration or throwing a flash drive in. Plus no where to charge your phone.

·
Registered
562 Posts
How about considering buying a used 2011. There are some really good buys out there, at least in the States. This might give you more options and value for the buck, and you'd still have warrantee...best regards Plum

·
Registered
29 Posts
OP, I am in the exact situation as you are in. I sorted out the pricing and the premium package truly isn't worth the extra money, as you get nothing of substance for extra cash.

The only downside of the "value leader" is if you don't have cash to buy it outright. Ford Canada only offers 5.79% financing for it and doesn't offer much rebates for the vehicle.

Used 11 stangs in Canada still very pricy. Models with 12-15000 km's on it are still being sold @ MSRP. I've looked everywhere in Ontario and none of the dealers are willing to lower their price to even $20,000.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cdnballer: actually I'd you but before January 15th you'd get 0% financing or 1750$ rebate plus 1000$ rebate if your a Costco member. Withe the VL the 1750$ beats the 0% if your financing less then around half the cars cost. (also I'm in markham right now too lol )

At the moment I'm driving an old Pontiac with all hard plastics and cloth so the mustang already beats that, as long as it has the aux jack I'm fine ( most cars lose the ability to keep up with iPods anyway since once the car is made it can no longer update for new iPod models so the aux jack is better in my eyes)

It's a shame about the gears and winter haha I would have loved to hear it helped haha I'm just gonna test drive one in London after a blizzard and see how it handles haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 0% financing is not available for the value leader and the $1000 discount for being a costco member doesn't apply either, meaning the only discount available is the $1750 you listed for cash purchase.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was considering doing the same when I bought my stang, I too am young (under 25) and this is the first new car I've owned. I opted for the premium. Just because I wanted all the features and didn't want to go through the trouble of adding them on.

However, if you're dead set on the value leader you can make it sick with take off parts. Boss steering wheel for about $300 (to replace the cheap plastic stock one), OEM leather from Shelby for $149, take off GT wheels for under $1000 and the list goes on.

Or, you can get a sweet deal on a used 11 GT, there are quite a few showing up on autotrader.ca around the $27,000 mark. OR, you can wait for the updated '13's to come out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
oh, and for snow tires you can put 17" on steel wheels if your car comes with 18's. I have 215 60 17's which I bought and had installed from a local tire shop. Wheel diameter is the same, so no need to recalibrate the speedo and they clear the brake calipers (albeit barely, but fine nonetheless) I think it was about $910 all in.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Agree with the list above of differences in interior pkgs. vs. base except, I thought that the leather steering wheel w/controls came with the premium version. That is a pretty pricey itme to add anymore.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cdnballer: One of our dealerships was wrong then, because i was at a dealership a few days ago and they priced it all out for me and i was given the option of 1750$ off or 0%, and they even included the costco discount (it didnt even have to be MY membership, they applied my mums membership, i just told them i still lived at home).

CDNstang: Thanks, but I am not looking for a GT or to mod it. If its gets bad i would only add fog lights (for country roads and fog).

I have been to three dealerships and they have all told me there is no past model discounts on '11s so i might as well buy a '12 for the same price.

Any of you canadians been driving yours in all that snow i have been hearing about ?

(I'm from windsor, and still here on holiday and it still hasn't snowed once this winter, even though I hear london has had like 40cm and the GTA got some as well)

·
Registered
29 Posts
@recreate.me which dealership did you go to? I would purchase the base model stang right now if they offered me the zero% financing + costco discount.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
All the differences are listed on the Ford website.
They sure are listed on the Canadian Ford site, I just looked at it on this page: Ford Mustang Ford Canada Click on "specs and options"...

Shows all the differences and options on the comparison list.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cdnballer - I am from windsor and am home for the holidays, so the dealership is in Windsor, if you want its details PM me.

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts