Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'11 Mustang 19 inch tire rock chip damage defect 001.JPG Are any of you guys getting alot of paint damage from rock chips on your Brembo equipped Mustangs? I drive in south Florida where there are no dirt or gravel roads and my car has hundreds of rock chips on the lower rocker panels behind the front wheels. What's up with that?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I noticed mine yesterday when i was washing it. Didn't have any last week when i washed, clay bared and waxed it. Weird...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rock chips on rocker panels

View attachment 132096 Are any of you guys getting alot of paint damage from rock chips on your Brembo equipped Mustangs? I drive in south Florida where there are no dirt or gravel roads and my car has hundreds of rock chips on the lower rocker panels behind the front wheels. What's up with that?
I contacted Jesus at Ford customer service with this same picture and he told me it was NOT covered by the factory warranty. He said it was caused by "outside sources" and that is not covered. Well guess what? I have never had a car with so much rocker panel damage so early and I think alot of you have the same problem so I think compensation should be in the works. I'll keep you posted. 8

·
Banned
109 Posts
I contacted Jesus at Ford customer service with this same picture and he told me it was NOT covered by the factory warranty. He said it was caused by "outside sources" and that is not covered. Well guess what? I have never had a car with so much rocker panel damage so early and I think alot of you have the same problem so I think compensation should be in the works. I'll keep you posted. 8
Its your tires. They are too sticky. I had a brembo car a few weeks ago, and it picked up everything on the ground and tossed it at the rockers. Now I have an 11 GT/CS with the regular tires and it never picks anything up. Quiet as a mouse. It the tires.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That would explain the mud-flap looking things I saw on someone's ride once. Perhaps something could be found in the aftermarket that would protect from the blowback rocks without looking too awful.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hell yes I have them, but I installed Roush side splitters 2 months ago and I haven't noticed anymore chips. Once my tires are ready to replace I'm going with max performance all season because these summer tires are just way too sticky with rocks. Now, I don't have that many rock chips on the sides but I notice it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had stone guard (clear bra) 3M put on the hood and I'll be taking her back so they can do the same on the lower doors. (Cheaper fix than replacing 4 tires)

·
Registered
880 Posts
When I had the custom clear bra applied in the new car showroom to my last coupe I had this behind-rear-wheel body film coverage applied. (After time you really get used to the color.)

It did a very good job of protecting this area on the year-round usage on this New England vehicle.

My experience has been that the areas covered by the clear bra remain pristine and new and everything else w/ any forward exposure gets sandblasted.

·
Registered
585 Posts
As someone else said, it's the sticky summer tires, the same ones that let you take those turns at ridiculous speeds while the car stays well planted. Your chances of getting compensated for this are ultra slim to none, certainly not by Ford.

I also installed the Roush side splitters and this has helped a lot plus it looks nice.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
As someone else said, it's the sticky summer tires, the same ones that let you take those turns at ridiculous speeds while the car stays well planted. Your chances of getting compensated for this are ultra slim to none, certainly not by Ford.

I also installed the Roush side splitters and this has helped a lot plus it looks nice.
soo what your saying is.... put some skinny cheap tires on... or put the stock ones back on (if you changed them out for fat low profile tires).. and take it back to the dealer and tell them those little tires are throwin sh!t up at your car. noicceeeeeeeeeee!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So that's the fix? Let me get this right. Mount some cheap, skinny tires on it, then apply some scotch tape along the rocker panels, and after that screw on some mud flaps that look like they belong on a Peterbuilt? Great, gonna get right on it. Maybe I should drive around with a car cover on it with a little hole in front so I can see where I'm going.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Im not impressed witht he paint job on this car. My hood has a pretty decent collection of chips as well for only 13k. My focus with over 130k has WAY less paint chips...And i take it off roading ALL the time!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yup, I've never heard of a manufacturer covering that. IF a dealer chooses to, it is a goodwill gesture and on there dime. My car paint is mint after 14,400 miles, but the plastic rocker guard has been beaten up. My Brembo car being a vert does have the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, so they may or may not be as prone to kicking up rocks as the Pirelli's. It may also be the environment. As ****** as Chicago highways are, they are much cleaner than the ones I drove on when I lived in MI, as messed up as that is to say!

·
Registered
298 Posts
its just a shi88ty car go trade it in now!

·
Registered
646 Posts
(In Guiness commercial voice) BRILLIANT!!!! There yah go, problem solved. :laugh: Clear bra does work miracles though. You should see some of the battle scars mine has from deflecting crap. I guarantee my front end would be like a jigsaw puzzle by now if it didn't have one in place. The headlight covers have soaked up just as many rocks as the front bumper covering!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.