Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about acquiring an OEM NAV unit to replace the Shaker 500 in my 2008 GT. I have XM and iPod using a metro kit already. I know I will have to add a GPS / Sat antenna. But what about the wiring harness for the Units. Will a NAV unit plug and play?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wanted to do that when I first got my car, and I was told by the guys at Creative Car Audio that it would be plug and play other than the gps antenna, but I ended up getting an aftermarket setup because the factory navi unit was just as expensive..

·
Registered
133 Posts
I swapped my Shaker 500 for a new Factory Nav unit right after buying my '08GT. The plugs all fit, the antenna uses the same connection, and the sat. antenna fit easily under the dash. When it was all done the subs in the doors worked as before and the sound was as good or better than before. I use and really appreciate the Nav unit and the media display is easy to read.

That said, the Nav units are made to fit a variety of Ford vehicles and need to be programmed to correctly track the vehicle speed data, the instrument lighting levels, the installed subs, rear controls, and whether or not steering controls are active. So, you probably will need it programmed. Dealers don't do this, usually sending them out somewhere. I got mine done at Chicago Sound who runs a mail order business doing that. If you get a used one that is already programmed for something it might be worthwhile just trying it out to see if it works OK as the Mustang uses few of the options, anyway.

=Vic=

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most helpful. I am looking at some on eBay. I have a Auto Stereo shop I use in town. My next stop is to ask them if they are able to set one up. Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I recently changed minds out, the sound is way better. than shaker 500.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I swapped my Shaker 500 for a new Factory Nav unit right after buying my '08GT. The plugs all fit, the antenna uses the same connection, and the sat. antenna fit easily under the dash. When it was all done the subs in the doors worked as before and the sound was as good or better than before. I use and really appreciate the Nav unit and the media display is easy to read.

That said, the Nav units are made to fit a variety of Ford vehicles and need to be programmed to correctly track the vehicle speed data, the instrument lighting levels, the installed subs, rear controls, and whether or not steering controls are active. So, you probably will need it programmed. Dealers don't do this, usually sending them out somewhere. I got mine done at Chicago Sound who runs a mail order business doing that. If you get a used one that is already programmed for something it might be worthwhile just trying it out to see if it works OK as the Mustang uses few of the options, anyway.

=Vic=
The outer perimeter lights on minds do not light at the time, you are saying that this also need to be programmed. I figure I just didnt push in enough.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The outer perimeter lights on minds do not light at the time, you are saying that this also need to be programmed. I figure I just didnt push in enough.
I assume you mean the lights under the buttons? Probably a programming issue, I would think. Everything on mine works and in sync with the car controls and speed as you would expect. Folks charge $100 +/- for programming, which seems pretty expensive for what is going on, but what can you do? Its sort of like charging $40-50 to read the diagnostic codes, a feature that was to save the dealer time in doing a diagnosis, not an extra cost service.

=Vic=

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.