Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a few bad things about aluminum flywheels and I personally trust a steel flywheel to be more reliable and live longer but I wanted something lighter than the stock steel one.

Found this lightweight steel flywheel made by Exedy and am really thinking about it.
Exedy Lightweight Racing Mustang Flywheel

Or any opinions on the Ford Racing aluminum or steel flywheel?

If it were you what would you go with?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
maybe if I was pulling the clutch and was already in there..minimal gains, a aluminum driveshaft is nice to have

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe if I was pulling the clutch and was already in there..minimal gains, a aluminum driveshaft is nice to have
yeah that's why I'm doing it. I'm replacing the clutch so I want to replace everything while I'm in there. I will for sure be doing an aluminum drive shaft though in the future. Along with 3.73s (I do a lot of highway). I wish Ford Racing made 3.90s

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I've heard a few bad things about aluminum flywheels and I personally trust a steel flywheel to be more reliable and live longer but I wanted something lighter than the stock steel one.

Found this lightweight steel flywheel made by Exedy and am really thinking about it.
Exedy Lightweight Racing Mustang Flywheel

Or any opinions on the Ford Racing aluminum or steel flywheel?

If it were you what would you go with?
misweetrevenge,

We've had a lot of good feedback about this Exedy lightweight steel flywheel. I can't say I've ever used one personally, but Exedy makes top notch drivetrain parts, so I wouldn't need to think twice about it.

I agree using a light weight steel flywheel is usually the best of both words. I've only used billet steel flywheels on all of my cars in the past and present. Which is why I think you'll be very pleased with Exedy's billet steel flywheel.

Give me a shout if you have any other questions too!

Shane

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'll be going with the Exedy flywheel for 2 reasons.
1) Getting an Exedy clutch.
2) Mechanic won't install an aluminum flywheel.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yeah I'll be going with the Exedy flywheel for 2 reasons.
1) Getting an Exedy clutch.
2) Mechanic won't install an aluminum flywheel.
misweetrevenge,

He has some strong opinions against aluminum flywheels...lol. Regardless, it sounds like the billet steel is what you want anyways.

Let me know what you think once it's completely installed!

Shane

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll post back after first install and then again after break in thumbsup3.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts