Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm wondering how you guys who use exhaust systems with no cats pass the emissions tests in your areas. Can the car actually pass without cats, are there no emissions tests or do you just put them on and take them back off every time?

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
Depends on the area you live in.

Some areas (like mine) don't smog check cars once they're 20 years old, so all you get inspected is the safety features. That means you can come roaring and rumbling in with a nasty cam, long tubes, and no cats... they don't do a thing to you as long as all your bulbs are working and your tires have tread.

Most who still get smog checked swap out their off road pipes for the converter pipes and then switch them back once they get inspected.

Or they find a guy who'll look the other way and slide them through.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Hey I'm wondering how you guys who use exhaust systems with no cats pass the emissions tests in your areas. Can the car actually pass without cats, are there no emissions tests or do you just put them on and take them back off every time?

Why not run CATS they do not cause any HP loss to speak of. I build around the cats and they are installed in all my builds. Their is no reason to remove them other than IGNORANCE. Peace Tom

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Depends on the area you live in.

Some areas (like mine) don't smog check cars once they're 20 years old, so all you get inspected is the safety features. That means you can come roaring and rumbling in with a nasty cam, long tubes, and no cats... they don't do a thing to you as long as all your bulbs are working and your tires have tread.

Most who still get smog checked swap out their off road pipes for the converter pipes and then switch them back once they get inspected.

Or they find a guy who'll look the other way and slide them through.
DUDE this reply is a little off BASE. First as a state inspector i cant look the other way. My license is on the LINE. Second they have cammeras on the car and third their is no reason to remove a CAT other than ignorance. The new 300 cell high flow cats cause no restrictions to speak of. The total HP loss is so low its not even worth talking about. With that said if you build around the system a cat is not going to be an issue. I do a bunch of LS chevys that have many mods and fly through a smog TEST. It all depends on who is building the engine. Peace Tom

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
I understand that, and many shops wouldn't touch a car if it came in without converters. They're not going to lose their license over some yahoo that came in and they slid him through. I didn't say all inspection stations would do that, I only mentioned some might and that's what you'd have to do if you want to pass without converters. Good luck in finding a guy to do that, so hence my comment about looking the other way. I didn't say try to bribe the guy or anything.

Since I'm not held to the smogger anymore, I don't have to worry about it.

Good point about the new modern converters being efficient and not causing a loss of power like the old first generation units. I've said that myself about converters, in fact converters will give the car better response due to their design than an off road pipe.

As for my comments being off base, NC doesn't smog check cars 20 years old or older. And most who run off road pipes on the street swap on converters for their inspection.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I understand that, and many shops wouldn't touch a car if it came in without converters. They're not going to lose their license over some yahoo that came in and they slid him through. I didn't say all inspection stations would do that, I only mentioned some might and that's what you'd have to do if you want to pass without converters. Good luck in finding a guy to do that, so hence my comment about looking the other way. I didn't say try to bribe the guy or anything.

Since I'm not held to the smogger anymore, I don't have to worry about it.

Good point about the new modern converters being efficient and not causing a loss of power like the old first generation units. I've said that myself about converters, in fact converters will give the car better response due to their design than an off road pipe.

As for my comments being off base, NC doesn't smog check cars 20 years old or older. And most who run off road pipes on the street swap on converters for their inspection.

OK you are a MOOG tech and i am ASE certified in 34 different areas(not trying to be a wise guy or be a snob just want to make a point) How many times have you seen a person use a PICKLE FORK to seperate a ball joint or tie rod end then reuse it with a RIPPED BOOT. Well if you are replacing the part who cares but if the joints are new and all you are doing is a spring change you do not want a ripped BOOT. So with cats here is the DEAL. We have done testing with and without cats. Back to back DYNO PULLS. The car with cats always has better mid and low range HP and usually gains a bit at WOT. Now its hard to convince people of this. But the fact of the matter is its true. Just like the PICKLE FORK to break open a BALL JOINT. Their are many old WIVES tales that just wont DIE. Another example is removing an EGR valve. Will not make one more HP and in some cases will loose HP and smoke a TRANNY real fast. We have to get away from the back yard mentality and do things correctly. Just because your state does not do a tail pipe test on a 20 year old car does not mean you can remove a CAT. You are breaking the law by removing a CAT. Your state has an anti tampering law as written and its no joke paying a tampering FINE. Clearly as a MOOG tech and so trained you see people that do front end work that makes you KRINGE am i RIGHT!! Peace Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.