Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
im brand new to this fourm so im sorry if im asking questions that have already been answered :nono:

to start things off, i have a 2003 mustang mach 1 and am looking to change out the exhaust. the problem is my laptops speakers arnt exactly ideal for trying to find what gives the deepest classic muscle car rumble lol everything i listen to sounds about the same :( not to mention anything sounds good to me now since my last car was a v6 mustang. any suggestions on what gives the deepest loud rumble?
the ones ive been looking at soo far:
flowmaster (sounded GREAT on the v6)
magnaflow (heard good stuff about on 8s)
SLP
borla
bassani
mac

I also am looking into swapping out the headders. ive heard the best way for me to go without having to lift/shake the engine is to get a set of ford racing shorties. any opinions on them?

was also told that for performance one of the first things i should look into is a hurst short shifter. i saw these on hurst's website but didnt see anything for an 03, and im not sure if the mach 1 has the same transmission setup as the rest.
BILLET//PLUS™

any other ideas for the best bang for the buck 1st mods to do for a mach 1?

I greatly appreciate any input!
thanks soo much guys:D

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Dont buy shortys!!!
They wont give you as much power as a set of longtubes will, deal with the trouble and do it, you'll love them and they sound alot better!
I had a friend that had "SLP1" on his 03 gt and it sounded very nice and mean!!!

This is going to be another one of those "he should do this first thread"!:gringreen

Throwing all this into "your first mods group"! (from what I think along with others here have said)
*Cold air intake
*Gear's
*short throw
*sub from connectors
*under drive pullies
*exhust ( I say headers to the tips) not just muffler

I like flowmaster and slp. I'm not a fan of magnaflow not loud enough for me. If you do decied on longtubes with a "uncatted x pipe" I wouldnt get flowmaster. I have that now and I'm starting to hate it (Its to dam loud)!

Ask all the questions you want!!! I do!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i go long tube im not sure if ill be able to do it myself. not exactly comfortable with the idea of having to lift my engine lol. the SLP stuff sounded good, but wasnt sure how deep of a tone it puts out. as far as mid pipe goes, i think the mach 1s are true dual from factory and ill proply endup giving it an H pipe (i hear it gives more of that classic muscle sound wher as X is supposed to be more of a euro sound)
still cant figure out my short throw shifter issue, and as far as under drive pullies go i guess i really need to decide if im gona procharge or not first.
i really dont know anything about gears (differential i assume?) or subframe but need something that is still somewhat reasonable for driving around every once in a while ( i drive it about once a week in the summer and never in the winter/snow/rain)

subframe just keep it stable for launching i assume? any specific brand better than another or is a tube of metal just a tube of metal and dont worry about it?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
For your shifter just give them a call and they can look it up for you I'm sure it's the same as the bullit trans. I think it's the same one for the gt also. Under drive pulleys are cheep. You can pick up a pair of used ones at a good price. Just keep your old ones in case of a s/c. It dosent take much to put the headers in. It's not like you have to pull the whole motor out. Just enough to get the header in. Do you drive alot on the highway? Or just manly roads? If your going to s/c it a 3:73 to a 3:90 and good gears from what I've heard. If your just driving it around town i'd say 3:90 to a 4:10. I got 3;73 in mine but 4:10's will be that last thing I re-due this season. I want more of that throw you in the seat feeling.

If you go with aftermarket shortys you can just leave the stock pipes on the car. You dont have to change them out

·
Banned
652 Posts
imo the best exhaust setup for 4v motors (with stock manifolds) is pypes o/r x and mac catback. here is a clip of that setup

YouTube - 2003 Mustang Mach 1 Exhaust

and for the shifter, go with steeda triax/mgw/pro 5.0 everything else is junk imo

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that exhaust does seem good from what i can tell with my laptop lol but unfortuantely im gona have to keep my cats :( where i live its inspected once a year and itd b a real pain to have to put em back in and take em back out over and over.

as far as highway use i do drive on the highway a bit... maybe 20-30 min a day +/- 15 min. so im not too sure what gears to go with.

and with the shifter ill give em a call tonight or tomorrow and post what they say incase any1 else has a mach 1 and wants to know. i heard the tri-ax isnt supposed to be quite as good as the stuff from hurst but i really dont know, all ive ever used is stock shifters.

ill look into that under drive also. something i should buy from steeda? or are they gona be a bit over priced. i kinda doubt there will be much difforence from company to company, i mean, its just a pully right?

thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
alright for your deep muscle car sound flowmasters (or even magnaflow) with an off road h is the way to go. as far as loudness, slp 1's are the loudest i have heard. although that mach 1 setup that chefalan put up sounds amazingggg. and i usually hate x pipes.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Well everyone has their different opinions, but for me te deepest sounding catback is magnaflow. I got an x pipe on mine but it still has a deep roar at cruising speeds and when barely taking off, an h pipe might be what your looking for since you want the classic muscle car sound. ANd why change out the shifter in the Mach, doesnt it already have one? That vid with the mac and pypes exhaust does sound awesome though.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
imo the best exhaust setup for 4v motors (with stock manifolds) is pypes o/r x and mac catback. here is a clip of that setup

YouTube - 2003 Mustang Mach 1 Exhaust

and for the shifter, go with steeda triax/mgw/pro 5.0 everything else is junk imo
I agree:bigthumbsup I'm wondering now if I should get Mac's. I have a 2v but I wonder if it'll much of a difference over the flows.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah those macs do sound really good, im just worried that they may sound totally difforent with cats still there. i think id take deep rumble over loud so i guess im down to magnaflow, mac, and flowmaster huh. nobody seems crazy about borla or bassani. slp is nice, but i want that rumble.

this video is what really kept me from looking too much into magnaflow:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=mach+1+magnaflow&emb=0#
the video makes it look like its no louder than stock at all and just a slight change in tone

im not sure about the shifter though, ive never had a short throw so i have no idea if the mach has a short throw or not lol. it does not feel much difforent from the v6 i had. dont get me wrong, i dont have to move 5 feet to shift, but it does not seem unusually short.

any opinions on who has a good underdrive pully? or are they all the same?

really wish i could hear these irl next to each other :(

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I agree with chefalan23, mgw, steeda tri-ax, or pro50, the rest is crap. I have the pro 50, but prefer the mgw personally, just didn't know about it when I got my shifter many moons ago.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i took at look at those MGW shifters u were talking about, they look very nice. im guessing the one i need is the tremtec 3650 short shifter? that rings a bell but im not sure if thats what the machs have. anybody know if the machs have a short throw shifter built in any ways? i have no clue how short short really is. are MGWs considered the best? or is it all just a matter of what you like? i guess the main thing for me is being able to hit 3rd gear like a champ. im soo slow at hitting 3rd its unreasonable, always afraid im gona drop it back into 1st or never feel like its quite into 3rd and may fall out. i hear the triax can be really hard to hit 3rd in

lol sorry for the noob questions, ive never gotten into anything like this before, all ive ever done was change the exhaust on my last mustang.
once again, thank you soo much for the help everybody!!:D

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
i took at look at those MGW shifters u were talking about, they look very nice. im guessing the one i need is the tremtec 3650 short shifter? that rings a bell but im not sure if thats what the machs have. anybody know if the machs have a short throw shifter built in any ways? i have no clue how short short really is. are MGWs considered the best? or is it all just a matter of what you like? i guess the main thing for me is being able to hit 3rd gear like a champ. im soo slow at hitting 3rd its unreasonable, always afraid im gona drop it back into 1st or never feel like its quite into 3rd and may fall out. i hear the triax can be really hard to hit 3rd in

lol sorry for the noob questions, ive never gotten into anything like this before, all ive ever done was change the exhaust on my last mustang.
once again, thank you soo much for the help everybody!!:D
I like my B&M shifter, after i had it installed you didnt even have to give it that much gas to catch third, just kinda let the rpm rev then throw it in there, you will not miss third. Much better thant he stock shifter, and yes the Mach have the same Tremeck 3650 transmission.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I like my B&M shifter, after i had it installed you didnt even have to give it that much gas to catch third, just kinda let the rpm rev then throw it in there, you will not miss third. Much better thant he stock shifter, and yes the Mach have the same Tremeck 3650 transmission.
I like the B&M also. I got that in mine but the only problem I always had was the ajuster bolts on the top and bottom came lose when I was driving!!! I'd have to in the shifter boot and get the nut out. It would block me from eather the top gears or the lower ones. There gone now and she's just good as new!!!

+1 for the b&m!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
A good shifter makes it a lot easier to hit 3rd like a pro, the return springs make it hard to miss it, and the feel is very precise and tight not loose and soft like stock. The stock isn't as bad as the cable shifter in a ricer, but it still feels like banging gears with a dead rat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so im fairly sure that im going to go with flowmasters (from everything ive seen they are better for tone and magnaflow have better performance) and am trying to decide between cat-back and just having the mufflers put in, and thats when i realised.. i have no idea what size the stock pipe is lol, anybody have any ideas?
i can get the mufflers for 75 a pice so is it really worth paying around 500 for the full cat back when i dont think they are even stainless?
thanks again for all the help guys

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
The stock is 2 1/4", going with the catback 2 1/2" will help a lot as far as power and sound. I have flowmasters and like the sound, but they are chambered mufflers and they will resonate a bit with an x pipe, sounds raspy, almost like a rattle at times, some like it, some don't. Definitely go with the catback.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am really surprised another Mach hasnt answered your questions yet, oh well.

OK, first off for Mach's you really dont need a CAI, its sitting on top of the engine. I just put a K&N air filter on mine. I would suggest taking the air silencer and the little air box thingy off the intake tube, both are pointless. If you want to really smooth the air flow into the engine than get a the smooth pipes. Most of them are like a CAI, but some do not retain the shaker, which if you ask me is stupid, thats why I bought the car.

Next, exhaust. I personally am going with Flowmaster Delta 50s. I have 40s on my 79 and they are a little to loud, IMO. So, the 50s give the sound and a little bit of performance, but are not over the top in the noise department.

The Mach 1s came with subframe connecters. Now they do not extend all the way to the front subframe. All you need to do is get some metal tubing and tie the frames together.

The Shifter is a little bit of a mistery from me as well. I have herd the Pro 50s and Steeda are really good. I think the stock shifter is a "factory short throu shifter" It felt really tight, but the bushings are starting to go out and 3rd sometimes isnt there. Fun on the down shifts.

You might want to get a higher gear. The Machs came with 3:55s, but you could always step up to 4:10s. This is because 5th gear is so low, you could easily live with it on the highway (especailly if your exhaust doesnt drone at a particular rpm). However you're in KC so you might want to keep that 150mph for those top speed tests. Eventually you might want to upgrade the rear end also. There is a youtube video of a guy braking one on a stock car at the drag strip.

There is also the Mach 1 Registry. They have a lot of good info, but there discussions sometimes go off topic. I personally like AFM for talk, but if I need Mach specific stuff, I will go there.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank you so much! thats really usefull info (always scratched my head lookin at that box on the air intake wondering what it was lol). ill be sure to create a login for that other website u were talking about, saw it before but didnt notice they had fourms.
i went ahead and got a short shifter to replace the stock one, if nothing else it might help finding 3rd and looks nice too :bigthumbsup
i think im gona go for 40 series flowmaster cat back next, then maybe underdrive? I have been told a chip wont do much for me until i get forced induction since i have a manual transmission, not quite to sure on how true that is though.

as far as changing out the rear end i did see that video you were talking about (i almost cried when i saw that:weeps)but was not sure exactly what happened. do i need to change out the gears themselves to something stronger? or just hold out on that until i decide what ratios to go with?
thanks again!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.