Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what bolts you guys use or used to fasten your midpipe togther (Prochamber specifically). Also, I heard that your supposed to use locking nuts. Where can you go to get these, because i tried Home Depot and they didnt have any large enough? Could i call MAC and have them send me some bolts, or do they even have any? Thanks Guys

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Nuts and bolts should have come with the pipe, but if they didn't you should be able to use the OEM bolts. I don't think locking nuts would be a great idea on hot exhaust. Lock washers would be better IMO.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
Nuts and bolts should have come with the pipe, but if they didn't you should be able to use the OEM bolts. I don't think locking nuts would be a great idea on hot exhaust. Lock washers would be better IMO.
Lock nuts without the nylon will work fine on the hot exhaust.

Any GOOD parts store or hardware store (as in, NOT Home Depot) will have lock nuts. You want to make sure you get grade 8 hardware, though, as lesser grades will not hold up to the heat.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i bought my catted prochamber from ebay brand new, but it didnt come with any bolts but like 4 and thats not enough. Do you know of anywhere specific that would have locking nuts? I already tried lock washers and they didnt seem to help too much.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Try NAPA, most of their stores have a pretty decent selection of fasteners.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Pypes sent me nylon lock nuts with the x-pipe I had, but thats not saying much in my opinion. However, they were fine when I pulled the pipe off over the weekend. The Mac h-pipe I just installed came with all the neccesary hardware, and locknuts weren't included. The flanges came with double threaded studs (threaded on both ends) and regular nuts that seem to be holding just fine.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The UPR X I'm waiting to install came with new hardware, I would contact Mac and get the correct stuff.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Especially for an exhaust system I would go with high quality fasteners.

Get either stainless steel, or high grade steel and use anti-seize compound. Obviousely you want to get the heat resistant stuff.
(Humidity plus hot/cold/hot/cold/..... seizes almost everything after a while)

·
Registered
276 Posts
The bolts that came with the pro chamber are just for the catback and there were only four. The stock bolts should work for the header end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.