Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to put exhaust cutouts on my new exhaust system. Is there anything i should be concerned about? What do you guys think about them?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are you talking about the rear valance where the GT style exhaust comes through?

If so, it is a no brainer, buy a replacement valance for $33, have it painted to match and your in good shape.

If it is not that, elaborate what your trying to do?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Warrior,

I had cut-outs (the manual cable versions) on a car once and they leaked alot. They look like the ones you linked to. First off the butterfly flap does not seal very well and the hole that the butterfly pivot pin sits in also leaks some. I had to put extension pipes on the open side of the cut-out and use a threaded pipe cap to stop most of the leaking. This quieted it down considerably, but it still sounded like an exhaust leak and it took away from the manual function of the butterfly. When I wanted to open it up, I had to laydown and spin the pipe cap off. Kind of a pain and it totally took away from the idea of siiting at a stop light and casually getting louder. I wouldn't do it again.

Now Kenny's link looks like a much better product and may solve the problems I mentioned. Remember, you get what you pay for and I paid 50$ for my set back in the late 80s. They haven't gone up much since then because they are a waste. Check into Kenny's lead for the cutouts.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've never done it but I've heard of the electric and the manual cutouts leaking a lot and sounding like crap. The electric ones are expensive too and it seems like the motors couldn't last long with the heat but maybe they do, seems like an expensive gamble though.

If I were to do cutouts, I'd get the kind where you manually bolt the cap onto the end of the cutout. They're cheaper and use a gasket and shouldn't leak but of course you couldn't flip a switch at a light and get loud.

·
Registered
876 Posts
what if you made you own with a small y coming off the exhaust and getting a 2 or 2 1/2 inch ball valve, an set up a manual cable for it? Im pretty sure they dont have a rubber or silicon in them so i dont think the heat could screw em up? just a thought, itd be cheap so if it didnt work you only out like $40. Justa wild idea

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the links. i was planning on going with a good set of electric cutouts but that link was the first one i found so it got posted. haha. Im really torn on what to do. Thanks for your input and keep it coming if you have more. I want to learn as much as i can before i make an expensive leap due to a high school lawn and odd job money.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I have owned the old handle type even the electric ones they all are a waste of time and money.Both leaked and after a while will rust open or shut on you.Save your money buy some long glass packs and get the same sound cheaper.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Is there a reason you dont just straight pipe it?
Dan

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i would straight pipe it but it is my daily driver and i dont know if i would want it like that all the time. i love that sound though. Plus isnt there drawbacks to straight pipeing it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Loudness is the only drawback I can think of. My last car had headers and a 2 foot straight pipe(VW beetle) it was a bit ridiculous. It was so loud people who lived a quarter mile off the road heard cruise by at 1500rpms. On the other hand the engine revved really nicely and had great sound when I downshifted and floored it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
ya thats bout it, i straight piped my bronco out the sides behind the doors into 4" exhuast it rattles the whole cab.:rollgrin:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im liking the idea of straight pipeing a little more now. Can i still put an h pipe in or what would i need to do?

·
Registered
876 Posts
You dont have to install an h pipe but if you do, itll help equalize the pressure in the exhaust.

·
Registered
110 Posts
H Pipe-Better performance by a little bit
X Pipe-Better than above by a bit
True duals-Louder with a bit of plopping sound

·
Registered
876 Posts
Also check the local tree hugger laws and what they have bout emissions. You may need to install cats.

·
Registered
16 Posts
going back to the cut outs... i have one on my truck and ive had no problem with it leaking or rusting... i bought mine from jeggs for like $50.
and about straight pipes... i have them on my 67 mustang and i love it...
emission rules in my area are that if the car is considered a classic (before 1975 i think) then youre not held to emission standards but it is still illegal to straight pipe due to noise but i did it anyway... and the only reason i didnt just straight pipe my truck is because i needed to be able to shut the valve to pass emissions. :hihi:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts