Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=102162&prmenbr=361

What do you guys think of the exhaust cutouts? I was gonna go with an offroad exhaust system which would run atleast a couple hundred, but my dad told me about these. This would only be 60 bucks plus installation. I would place them before my cats so i can unscrew the flange and basically be running straight pipes when i want to. This also allows me to keep my car legal for inspection.

·
Registered
342 Posts
xkon said:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=102162&prmenbr=361

What do you guys think of the exhaust cutouts? I was gonna go with an offroad exhaust system which would run atleast a couple hundred, but my dad told me about these. This would only be 60 bucks plus installation. I would place them before my cats so i can unscrew the flange and basically be running straight pipes when i want to. This also allows me to keep my car legal for inspection.
Spend the money and go with a catted quality midpipe and a decent cat back. If you put those in you will probably lose power.

Theres a reason they have a stock H-pipe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im just curious, how would you lose power from it? I dont think that is true, plus it says its "Proven to produce (.3) second quicker ET's." If im not going through my cats i should gain power. I could be wrong but thats the way i see it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
xkon said:
Im just curious, how would you lose power from it? I dont think that is true, plus it says its "Proven to produce (.3) second quicker ET's." If im not going through my cats i should gain power. I could be wrong but thats the way i see it.

Ok without going through the hours upon hours of typing heres the condensed version.

Small displacement, low compression, low duration cammed motors are dependant on some amount of exhaust back pressure to make torque. You remove that back pressure and you will lose significant amounts of torque and some HP. Now your factory exhaust has a h-pipe. That pipe is designed to balance out the exhaust pressures which inturn balances the motor out freeing up some power. Once again you will be negating that fact. Your cats are not that horribly restrictive and the power to be made off the entire exhaust isnt as much as you would think. The main restrictions in the factory exhaust are the crap bends they put in them and the stock mufflers.

Now for the .3 second of ET. That was probably tested on a 454 chevy in a car with single exhaust. Uncork a big block you get some gains because 90% of the exhaust systems people put on those cars are entirely too small. Dont believe any published claims of HP or ET gains on parts. Its a sales pitch nothing more.

I work at a dyno and I can GUARANTEE you that open exhaust on an otherwise stock 4.6 will lose torque and horsepower.

Besides that cutouts sound like shite.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thx, thats what i needed to know. So what would be the best exhaust system to go with minus headers that would keep me legal and sound very loud.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If you want pure unbridled loud, go with a Mac ProChamber and Flowpath mufflers. If you want something that sounds somewhat civilized, get Magnaflow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would a catted MAC h-pipe produce the same sound as the prochamber? And do the cats hold back on a lot of HP or just a little?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.