Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad, brother and I just picked up a 1973 Mach1 with the 351c engine at a car auction, and are looking to beef up the sound of the exhaust a bit, with some hp gains if possible. I have no experience with classic cars, so I am coming to you for some help. I've read into it a bit, and have seen things on straight pipes, X-pipes, H-pipes, different headers and mufflers, but really have no idea where to start. We'd like something that gives us that classic muscle car sound, but want to avoid something that drones a lot when we're cruising. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Im not sure if you have some already but i would suggest tri y headers an x pipe after the headers and flowmasters series 40 mufflers . Mine is straight piped an love it but those series 40 have a great sound too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. The headers are looking a bit expensive for now, so I've been looking for x-pipes and mufflers.

Would either of these work/be compatible with our car? The x-pipe is 2.5 in. tubing, but the only series 40 muffler for a '73 Mach 1 was 2.0 in. so I was wondering if I could use any of these mufflers. Like I said, I know nothing about classic cars. :im confused:

MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust

Flowmaster Super 40 - Two Chamber Mufflers=

·
Registered
876 Posts
you could probably get the 2.5 inch mufflers to fit in there. Are you plannin on doing this yourself? I would wait till you can afford headers so you dont cut you x pipe to fit the stock ones an later not line up with new headers and have to add pipe to it an make a big mess outa it. Tri y's are relativly cheap, where are you looking at them?

·
Registered
539 Posts
you could probably get the 2.5 inch mufflers to fit in there. Are you plannin on doing this yourself? I would wait till you can afford headers so you dont cut you x pipe to fit the stock ones an later not line up with new headers and have to add pipe to it an make a big mess outa it. Tri y's are relativly cheap, where are you looking at them?
I agree with AKBray, I would wait till you can afford some type of headers as that is when you will notice the performance gains.
Also an H-Pipe will be less expensive and serve the same purpose as the X-Pipe.
I would also stay away from the Flowmaster 40 Series Mufflers, they are going to be too lound. I would go for the Magnaflow or the Dynomax Superturbos are also a nice sounding 3 chamber muffler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts