Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking to replace the stock exhaust
system on my 2004 MACH1. I know nothing
about what does what, all I know is that
I want a LOW sound, nothing close to a
honda or any other riceburning 'device' :nono:

loud to a point and muscle car deep/low sound.

There are some muscle cars that, at idle
sound like a harley at idle. Thats close to
what I' prefer. Also looking at powergains with that.

All ideas are welcomed (looking for around
$600 to $800)
tell me what some great setups would be,
where to find and at what cost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I have an 03 gt convert 5 speed and I just had a flowmaster series 40 cat back system put on. It really sounds great and I can really feel the difference in performance. I swear I could hear the motor breathe a big sigh and say"thank you I can breathe so much better now" Honestly though, I really felt a difference. It sounds good but not too loud even in a convert. When you reach 2000 rpm in 4th gear ( I dont use 5th much) there is a slight "drone sound" that is the loudest point but by about 2200 its fades away and is very easy to deal with.
I paid about $475.00 for the system, 2 1/2 inch pipes and stainless 3 inch tailpipes. Very neat and the 3 inch pipes look awesome..
By the way, I have heard other systems: Borla, Mac, Borsani etc and in MY opinion (dont kill me with emails please) Flowmaster sounds the best..
Hope I helped you out.. Ed

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
there is a exhaust sound thread on here,check it out and see which you like....i suggest 2.5 inch pipes,x-chamber,your choice of mufflers,3.5 inch tips.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
flowmaster 40 series catbacks. absolutely perfect sounding. a great rumble for an idle and quite the roar when you get it anywhere past 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Magnaflow i think is the deepest sounding exhaust you can get. Add an H pipe with that and you'll have that really deep/low sound you want.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the o/r x with american thunder 40's and it sounded raspy. I then switched to a catted x with the american thunder 40's. Still to raspy for me. I called Flowmaster tech support and the guy told me if I was going to run an x pipe I needed a blow through style muffler not a chambered like I was using. Using a chambered muffler with a x pipe gives you what they call a european sports car sound. I then ordered a or h-pipe and flowmaster set me up with a brand new set of Super 44's. Was just the set up I was looking for. I am still trying to get a sound clip of it. I will try soon. Very deep sound. Check out their super 44's. Just remember xpipeand chambered = NASCAR. Hpipe chambered = muscle car era.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, an H pipe and magnaflow sounds great...
Sorry for the next part. Dont know realy what goes where.
The H pipe conects to the stock headers??
Whats needed after the H pipe to have a
complete exhaust system?

Anybody knows where to find good H pipe not to expensive?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats all you need. Buy the Hpipe and get the mufflers. Take all to a shop and they will install. All they do is cout out your existing mufflers and weld the new ones in place using the existing pipe.

This is all true unless you want to change the size of any of your pipes. If you do then the shop will have all the pipe there to facilitate and changes you want to make.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so this is not just a 'replace the stock thing quickly'?
I was just hoping to undo the one I have now and
bolt the new one in place...
I tried to cut money by keeping
my cats, but it seems the cats are part of the pipe.
I cant take out the pipe AFTER the cat...

looking at the catted MRT H for now
I dont know how to figure out wich
magnaflow muffler I need though...

·
Registered
676 Posts
I always plug mustang exhausts site. Excellent resource for differing combinations and model years!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
That car is an automatic?
Do you have a manual valve body on it or something?
It's not my car, just found it on youtube. It sounds like a auto but not sure because it's too noisy lol.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
What if he was shifting the auto manually?:shigrin

·
Registered
139 Posts
What if he was shifting the auto manually?:shigrin
Could be but it seems like he is revving and then starts into it, like he's letting out the clutch.
I dunno.
Was just curious.

As for exhaust, I have Magnaflow catback (not packs) with stock H pipe and it's plenty deep enough for me.
It does drone at 2k rpm under load though but not as bad as others do. I have a vert so that makes it worse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
At about 60 seconds he sits there revvin it up.. Hit's the brake for a sec... Think he's goin from N to D... and when he messes up the shift you can here it rev back so I don't think he's clutchin it...

O/R X w/ flowmaster 40's... way too loud... stay with an H unless you wanna have everyone starin at u... that includes the police too

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I have an o/r X with flows and it's only really loud if you drive like a mad man. Just control your foot on the throttle and you'll be fine. Just don't drive like a maniac in front of cops lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The SLP Loudmouth is an excellent choice. I just did my entire exhaust in January and it picked up some horses and sounds sick. But honestly, if you plan on building you car in the future it isnt wise to just by the SLP resonators(mufflers) alone. Youd be better off to save up some cash and buy the whole exhaust. Your stock exhaust is 2 1/4", whereas most aftermarket parts are 2 1/2" or 3". If you later decide to get headers your gonna run into fitment problems with the 2 1/4" resonators you'll buy now and be forced to use reducers which defeat the entire purpose of larger pipes. And believe me, if you've ever heard a ford mod motor running open long tubes youd never settle for anything that sounds less wicked! I would save up and upgrade the entire system to 2 1/2". You can get a set of BBK longtubes for around 400 or 500 if you want the ceramic coating(i have the ceramic and its a tremendous part), an x-pipe for 200-400 depending on whether or not you want the cats(i recommend keeping it legal, high flow cats show little to no loss power wise and you dont gotta worry about inspection or fines or getting impounded, however uncatted will be a little louder), and the SLP kit for around 400. Be aware than an uncatted x-pipe is not an effective way to save cash. Without the cats youll need to get Mil eliminators to trick you emissions system into thinking that ur 02 sensors are good and fine and you will also be wise to get a tune which is not cheap. Also, if you get pulled over for it, which is getting more and more common, your liable to pay over a thousand dollars in fines as well as being impounded. Basically, KEEP THE CATS! Aftermarket cats these days flow like a straight pipe. But, all together for between 1000-1300 you can have both a powerful and beautiful sounding exhaust. And you can even throw a set of cutouts on there and run open headers whenever you like! Hope i helped.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.