Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of where the cheapest set for long tube headers are for the 99-04 mustang v6's? i know if i remove the cats ill need the mill eliminators. will anything else be needed?
current set up is 2 and 1/2 inch flow 40's from cats back

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was kinda thinking about it.... my cats are leaking as of right now so i was ging to register my car somewhere else and just take the cats out and straight pipe it to flow 40's (register it at my grandmas so i dont need an emissions check)... then i was thinking if im cutting them off i might as well throw long tubes on... ive heard about not puting long tubes on unless you have forced induction because the engine wouldnt have enought back pressure. I want the leak gone and the car lounder and meaner lounding wile also increasing the hp n tq (i know it wont be a drastic inprovement)
exhaust is the only current mod on my car.

·
Registered
721 Posts
longtubes will be a nice gain..realy realy wish i had them!!! they wount mess up anything if you get eliminaters....you got with them and have a custom H pipe to. youll gain HP from deleteing your cats to :)...are your flows loud enough or are you wanting louder? LT's a and no cats will be very loud

R

·
0 Posts
Please stop using the term back pressure as if it's a positive thing, or useful in any way. Back pressure is bad, period. it serves no purpose, it restricts airflow. The only purpose for the exhaust is to remove the gases efficiently, and quiet them.

Back pressure is not in any way a good thing, ever. Every stock vehicle has some built in back pressure, but not because it's good to have. The manufacturer chose the parts for various reasons, and the result was a certain amount of back pressure. That means that if you eliminate that back pressure, the airflow through the engine increases. If you provide no more fuel for that extra air, the power will be reduced for the given rpm. If you correct the programming to keep the A/F ratio at ideal, the power will go up, at all rpm's. Power matches airflow, if you make it go up at 1000rpm, and add fuel there, power will be greater at 1000rpm.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
94-04 Pacesetter Ford Mustang 3.8L LT Headers + X-Pipe | eBay
This is a good combo, the same company I got my pacesetter Lt's from except this has an x-pipe made to slip right on the headers without cats just like you want, i believe it is ready to bolt to or weld to a gt catback or just have it custom made which ever, send them a message and ask about it if you are curious about the catback connections, just get your mil eliminators or have a new tune made if you got a tuner

They also have just the headers if you want to get an h-pipe instead of an x-pipe
Pacesetter 94-04 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 LT Headers | eBay

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do you think this car would sound with just the cats choped off? i know the sound quality will be braught down bc i wouldnt have the long tubes but i also have a custom paint job comming up soon so the 200 will be used in something else like a hood scoop or chin spoiler.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Chopped cats? Like sh*t.... Maybe the factory muffler won't make it as bad but most cases it sounds terrible
You'd rather have a hood scoop or chin spoiler than long tubes for better sound and power?
Not trying to sound like an ahole :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you deff did............. naaaaa i get where your commin from:bigthumbsup
now that i look at it i do sound pretty stupid... Now i gotta cross my fingers so i can get my car registerd in an area where they dont do emissions testing :winks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if i get the long tubes would i need the mil eliminators and the 02 extentions?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
if i get the long tubes would i need the mil eliminators and the 02 extentions?
You will need two sets of extensions (the front sensors will be moved further down stream as well as the back ones) and the eliminators

·
Registered
149 Posts
There are small shops everywhere that will look past cats. Idk why everyone makes a big deal of emissions testing.
If you care about the environment then I get your point haha. But it should be fairly easy to pass inspection at a small shop.
Unless I'm just very uncultered from living in Texas. Haha.

R

·
0 Posts
Those shops are getting harder and harder to find now. The $250,000+ fine and jail time scares a lot of people away from passing cars "under the table."

·
Registered
149 Posts
That might be a Cali only thing. I'd say just about any muffler shop in Texas will pass your inspection after you do business with them.

Though I'm not sure how strict Ohio is.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well when i got my test done a few months ago all they did was a visual inspection of the cats so maybe i could just weld the heat sheilds around the piping
long tubes are out of the question at this point because i just got a speeding ticket which blows....

how much do you think a shop would charge to remove the cats and make new provisions for the rear O2's?
I know all shops are diffrent but anyone have a rough estimate?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
How fast were you going?
With just cutting out the cats the spot for the rear O2 sensors should still be in place, it goes in the pipe after cats on factory if I remember correctly
Cutting out the cats and putting in a piece of pipe will be cheap, if you just have a visual inspection done then get them to take cats off punch out the insides and reinstall, it will be tricky to keep the welds hiding though in the inspection, they will probably notice them and if they are concerned enough they might do an actual emissions test in which you will fail....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was doing 84 in a 65....
19 over :/
and yea i hear what your saying about them noticing but i was going to try to register the car somewhere that does not need emissions...
also the spot that is leaking is the back two cats or resignators (idk what they are)
i always hit them going over speed bumps and the stock subframe connecters are rotted out (came stock with verts) and are pushed up into the floors :/ soon to be repaired though...
would it pass emissions with the rear two cut off... i noticed there are no 02's behind them so i dont think the check engine light would even come on

my main concern is just getting the leak fixed bc it sounds horrible

1 - 17 of 17 Posts