Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 289 in my 68 mustang. Im going to put new exhaust on in sometime soon and was going to go with straight pipes with no mufflers. However i dont know if I want to go with 2 1/4 inch pipes or 2 1/2 inch pipes. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think the 2 1/4 would be best but it seems to be easier to find 2 1/2 and you can buy cutouts or about any muffler (if you ever decide to put one on) for the 2 1/2.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
you're going to sound like a bucket of ass...It'll sound like a farm truck.

go 2.5 inch with a good set of mufflers

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have 2 inch straight pipes on my 65 with glasspack mufflers. It has a really nice sound thats loud but not going to make you deaf. An H pipe or X pipe is supposed to add more power but if you just want the sound straight pipes are good.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The sound bite with no mufflers installed has a buzzy sound to it at first. This sounds like there's an X-pipe crossover installed instead of an H-pipe. The use of a crossover or balance tube aids in exhaust scavenging from the cylinders. The H is better for low end torque and the X is better for upper end HP.

The X-pipe will quiet the exhaust only slightly and shouldn't be used with Tri-Y headers, as the designs aren't compatable with each other.

With the small displacement of the 289/302, a 2 1/4" pipe dia. system is going to deliver better exhaust velocity, scavenging and torque at lower RPMs, but only slightly over the 2 2 1/2" system which will be better for higher RPM HP.

I personally like using the 2 1/2" system with my 5.0 engine. I like the look of the larger pipes and 2 1/2" components do seem easier to find. I am using standard long tube headers, X-pipe and FlowMaster Super 44 mufflers. The Super 44s are one of louder mufflers that they offer. Believe me, even with those mufflers, the neighbors aren't real happy with me. You might want to reconsider going without some kind of muffler. How strict is the law enforcement in your area? Tickets can get expensive. The state of Georgia seems to have more than its share of police around. I used to live there and have had my share of run ins with them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i just talked to a mustang guy that im friends with and he said to go with 2 1/4 inch pipes w/ a h pipe. He also said to put the flowmasters on them. I'm gonna take the advice that you guys and him gave me. I don't want to be paying tickets. :bigthumbsup
(and v8 only i dont want to be sounding like a bucket of ass. lol)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I was just listening to Warriors's sound clip & thought I must do one of mine.
It's a 2 1/2" H-pipe with Flowmasters & Hooker headers.
Sounds similar to that clip but they always sound different when you record them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a 289 in my 68 mustang. Im going to put new exhaust on in sometime soon and was going to go with straight pipes with no mufflers. However i dont know if I want to go with 2 1/4 inch pipes or 2 1/2 inch pipes. What do you guys think?
either one will work for you, not much difference, until you chose a muffler.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I didn't mean to insult, but for sure, no mufflers WILL give it a farm truck sound.

more than power benefits, adding an h or x into the exhaust will equalize the sound between the two pipes. Without the h or x, the pipes won't sound balanced, and it'll tend to sound rough at throttle. Adding in a cross pipe will smooth it out quiet a bit.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
V8 only there was no insult. i just thought it was funny cause i never thought of that.
that vid of your car was good, thats the sound that i am going for. did you put an x or a h pipe on it? also my motor is pretty stock except that im going to put a 4V carb on it soon along with some shorty headers. will that have an effect on what size pipes to go with? im leaning towards the 2.5 in now.
Rocky289 i know i need a helper. My summer job is paying good now so im pry just going to take it to a good muffler shop thats nearby. I just needed to know what i wanted. They said that my car would take them 3 hrs vs me doing it in a couple of weeks. Its my daily driver. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
that's without an h pipe. Since that video, I have had an H section welded into it.

I'd highly suggest checking out the flowmaster setup then, as they offer a complete bolt in exhaust with all the tubing and mufflers that will likely be cheaper than going too an exhaust shop. performance peddler usually has the best price. I think it was 350-375$$ for the complete exhaust minus the headers...and they offer 2 1/4 and 2.5

2 1/4 in your case may keep more of your torque down low...but the 2.5 will be better if you ever decide to move up in the game...such as heads and intake.

·
Registered
539 Posts
V8only has the right idea. You actually lose power by going straight pipe. You need to at least install an H-Pipe. If I were you I would go with the 2.5" pipe this way your good to go with any future mods. I wish I had done that from the get go. Here's what my car sounds like with 2 chamber Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers:

YouTube - 1966 Mustang

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
nice car!!! what engine combo are you running? sounds fantastic!

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's all in my signiture. Was originally running the GT40 Iron heads then went to the TFS TW Heads & the 1.7 RR's to get a little more lift out of the B Cam.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts