Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I recently installed a borla atak axle back exhaust on my 2011 mustang v6.
I have minimal mechanical experience (took me about an hour and a half to put on).

Anyways my question is that sometimes i hear a rattling sound that didn't exist before i put the exhaust on. I've looked at the hangers already and everything seems fine and in place. Any suggestions on what the problem may be?
Any response would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi.
I recently installed a borla atak axle back exhaust on my 2011 mustang v6.
I have minimal mechanical experience (took me about an hour and a half to put on).

Anyways my question is that sometimes i hear a rattling sound that didn't exist before i put the exhaust on. I've looked at the hangers already and everything seems fine and in place. Any suggestions on what the problem may be?
Any response would be appreciated, thank you.
Its likely you may have to "twist" it around a bit if its isn't a PERFECT fit. Meaning, that the slightest shift in the exhaust system can cause a piece of the piping to get close enough to the tunnel plate that when it warms up and expands a bit, it may bump against something.

Run it for a bit and then look VERY close along the whole edge of the exhaust system (best done on a lift of course). Grab a pair of gloves and wiggle the exhaust system a bit to see if you hear a metal-on-metal sound anywhere. I've had to adjust and readjust once on an exhaust that was having the same problem.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my GT500s. The main rear mounting bracket that crosses a brace has a rubberized top. With the increased resonance of the louder system mine vibrated between 2800 and 3000 rpms. I folded a shop towel over and stuck it in between the rubberized top of the bracket and the chassis and wa la the vibration was gone and remains gone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a Titan that had the same problem with custom exhaust. When my exhaust heated up and expanded the hanger on the muffler would slide up in the bracket enough to touch the hanger to the edge of the bracket. I went to muffler shop and they cut off the hanger and bracket and just welded on a heavy duty bracket to the muffler. All resolved.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi.
I recently installed a borla atak axle back exhaust on my 2011 mustang v6.quote]

Sweet! :bigthumbsup I'd like to get one someday...feel any difference in horsepower? Thanksl
No. not too much of a difference, but i love the sound. its amazing.

and thanks for all the advice. going to run it on my next day off and take an extensive look at it and see if i can resolve it. If not, guess i got to take it to a shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.