Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 mustang GT, auto, and had some question regarding exhaust. I have searched around the fourms for a while and found alot of good information, but still had some questions. Oh yeah, and I live in california so I want to find something legal. I have been looking at Borlas, and Magnaflow, and flowmaster. Flowmaster doesnt come in a kit with the housing, but could I just buy the mufflers and install them on my stock housings I have already or do I need the full kit like the MagnaFlow Exhaust ? Any suggestions over all for me, or anyone have good or bad experiences with any brands. As for the sound, I love how it sounds now but I have been reading around that some of these exhaust are soo much better, while others you cant tell a difference. I have listened to some sound clips online but it is kinda hard to tell from them. Sorry for any beginner questions, but I am just starting to mod my stang out. Thanks again! :worship

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know about the legality of exhaust work but I myself live in California (San Diego) and I have gone with the Borla axle backs. I also looked at JBA and Magnaflows but I ended up going with the Borlas because of the look. I installed them this past weekend and they have been awesome! Can definitely feel some extra oomph when gunning it. However, they have a considerable amount of drone to them at around 1500-1800 rpms. It can get annoying. If you do a lot of driving in that rpm range (city driving) you might want to get more information on drone from other brands. The sound of the Borla is awesome, especially under WOT and also when cold starting. The installation was easy, as I'm a novice and was able to install in about 2 hours. The kit comes with everything you need (clamps, etc...). Only tools you'll need are a 15mm socket and wrench and a 13mm socket and wrench. The look also improves greatly. The stock pipes definitely don't compare to the polished look. Hope this helps and ask away (no questions are too beginner) :laughlitt

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I totally agree with o6GTee. He said just what I would have said about my flowmasters. those 4" tips are tits!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Its all in how much money ya wanta spend. I installed the Pypes Xpipe and their mufflers...no low rpm drone... I cant stand that! only thing polished are the tips. I painted the mufflers a dull silver color.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stoenr said:
I totally agree with o6GTee. He said just what I would have said about my flowmasters. those 4" tips are tits!
Did you install just the mufflers?

06GTee: Thanks for the good info, a buddy of mine swears by borla but I wanted to get some more info on them first. Also which one of these did you get? And how much difference will it be from just the mufflers to the mufflers + pipes?

Thanks again for all the info, this helps alot!

·
Registered
31 Posts
xeroinsanity said:
06GTee: Thanks for the good info, a buddy of mine swears by borla but I wanted to get some more info on them first. Also which one of these did you get? And how much difference will it be from just the mufflers to the mufflers + pipes?

Thanks again for all the info, this helps alot!
I got the 11750 (just the axle back one). I am not totally sure what the difference it will be between just mufflers and the entire cat back system but I was told that since Ford did such an excellent job with this exhaust (2.5" all the way back and madrel bent) the aftermarket pipes will do little. *Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not sure of this statement* Therefore, since any improvement will be minimal, I decided to save myself a few bucks and just get the axle backs to get the sound that I was after. I'm pretty happy with mine but again, as others have said, the drone can be pretty annoying and if you can try to listen and experience the exhausts before deciding. If you have any more questions, ask away!!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Ditto, just axle backs

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like thats the way to go, saves alot of money from the entire kit also!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Pretty much like 06gtee's borlas' 1500-1800 rpm's But I rarley find myself cruising at these rpm's

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I am just going to go with the Flowmaster, after reading comments posted above, unless anyone else has any opinions. Helped me save some money also because I was going to go for the whole catback kit with pipes and everything but then relized after reading comments is all you need are the axle backs!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the FRPP Axel back exhaust, whis is the same as the Borla. They sound and look great. Took about 45 minutes to install, straight forwand and easy to do.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm its either flowmaster or borla...I have heard great stuff about each, I guess it boils down to personal pref?

·
Registered
102 Posts
What? Nobody interested in the MAC axlebacks?

·
Registered
914 Posts
one word to fix that drone (or eliminate most of it) - dynamat!!

The stuff is awesome - it is a sound insulating material that you stick all over the interior metal of your car - I lined my trunk and especially the metal under the back seat (that is where the bulk of the noise seeps in) - made a HUGE difference. The drone is still there now and then, but not nearly as head splitting, and over all it is a big improvement.

The stuff ain't cheap though - about $250 to line the trunk and under the back seat, but well worth it in my opinion. You can find the stuff at Best Buy and most good audio shops - just wear gloves when you work with it as it has a thin metal backing and will slice you up something nice.

Hope it helps.

06GTee said:
However, they have a considerable amount of drone to them at around 1500-1800 rpms. It can get annoying.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Haha, yeah it is. just like the CAI decision is too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
HeiMa said:
one word to fix that drone (or eliminate most of it) - dynamat!!
Hope it helps.
Thanks for the idea!!! :wavey Never thought of that, but sounds like an excellent idea. :laughlitt

As for xeroinsanity's question on warranty, my dealer told me that the only warranty I will be voiding is the exhaust. Which makes sense to me since I messed with it, I can't really hold them liable against any problems. Which is also why I chose Borla--they offer a lifetime warranty on their systems and plus my service advisor had said he used Borlas all his life and never had any problems with them. Hope this helps!!!

As for the MAC exhaust, they are also an excellent choice. I heard one of their clips online somewhere and they sounded pretty sweet. I just happened to come across an excellent deal on my Borlas which I couldn't resist. Free shipping and 10% off... :drool:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
06GTee said:
As for xeroinsanity's question on warranty, my dealer told me that the only warranty I will be voiding is the exhaust. Which makes sense to me since I messed with it, I can't really hold them liable against any problems. Which is also why I chose Borla--they offer a lifetime warranty on their systems and plus my service advisor had said he used Borlas all his life and never had any problems with them. Hope this helps!!!
Yeah I expected it to void the exhaust warrenty since you are replacing it with something else, but do you know about the catalytic converter warrenty? Thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.