Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I had my factory exhaust replaced with the Magnaflow duals. Since then, the exhaust keeps rattling when I'm stopped or moving slowly. Any ideas on what it is, and how to fix it?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Did you do it yourself? Sometimes, it is difficult to tell where the exhaust system is close to another surface when the car is liftet from the body. Raise the car with a complete lift and you can determine if the exhaust system may hit another part of the car. I've had two "adjustments" since I installed my cat-backs due to shifting of the system. My guess is that I will have to do this at times. Unless I tack weld the joints as the shop has suggested.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I installed the Pypes X pipe Wed...I have the mufflers too but didnt put them on yet as I wanted to hear the difference with just the X pipe...Its awesome! however I too have a rattle...no concerns though as I will check it out Monday when I put the mufflers on. Hope I can find it though...any ideas???? I m goin to check those missin bolts in the tranny cover also!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've heard that after about 200-300 miles of driving, you should retighten and torque the bolts just like you would with wheels. It might just be loose clamp or hanger bolts that are causing them to rattle.
I just installed my Borla Exhaust this past Saturday and so far I have not had any rattles. However, I can't seem to line up the two mufflers. The left one is perfect but the right one is about 1/2" too far in. I've tried to pull the right one out to match the left one but it moves up and touches the bumper. I'd rather have them not be of equal length than having them touch the bumper and melting it. I don't know if any of you have experienced this and know how to line them up without having them shift up. Thanks.

By the way, the Borlas sound awesome except for the droning at 1500-1800 rpms. :scream:

·
Registered
785 Posts
06GTee said:
However, I can't seem to line up the two mufflers. The left one is perfect but the right one is about 1/2" too far in.
:scream:
Try loosening all clamps and slowly tightening them alternatively. The meneike shop where mine were installed used two technicians, a crow bar-like metal and patience to make mine as symetrical as possible.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have had a rattle at low speed/low RPM's under load since I installed my Loud Mouths. I have checked everything and tighten or adjusted any item that may cause the rattle. I am now looking at the license plate on the rear. I noticed that it is loose at the bottom of the plate and may be the cause. I plan on detailing the car on Monday for a car cruise and will be looking at the installing some weather striping on the back of the plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.