Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2001 Mustang in to the Ford dealer because I was hearing a rattling noise when I idled. Come to find out I had rocks in my exhaust shields and they did remove them for me only to charge me $40.00 for doing it. She WAS quiet again after that BUT I somehow have gotten more rocks in there. I cant afford $40.00 every 3 weeks or so to get the rocks removed so my question is where are the exhaust shields located so I can remove the stupid rocks myself.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I think your talking about the heat shields on the catalytic converters. Easiest way, dont drive on gravel :sterb: Other then that just jack that car up and get a coat hanger and fish then out. If you have air tools availible, use the air nozel and blow then out, either way I bet that is what Ford is doing.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
lcurle said:
I think your talking about the heat shields on the catalytic converters. Easiest way, dont drive on gravel :sterb: Other then that just jack that car up and get a coat hanger and fish then out. If you have air tools availible, use the air nozel and blow then out, either way I bet that is what Ford is doing.
Or turn up your stereo!!

:happyhapp

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rattling noise

Could be the heat shields but on the bill from Ford it says "Exhaust shields" so thats why I wrote it that way in the post. Who knows. All I do know is the noise is irritating as all get out! Wish I didnt have to drive on dirt roads but I live on one so I'm kinda up the creek there. Is there any way of blocking the rocks from going into the shields is another question I've come up with. I'm racking my brain you all....:eyebulge:

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
valentine said:
Could be the heat shields but on the bill from Ford it says "Exhaust shields" so thats why I wrote it that way in the post. Who knows. All I do know is the noise is irritating as all get out! Wish I didnt have to drive on dirt roads but I live on one so I'm kinda up the creek there. Is there any way of blocking the rocks from going into the shields is another question I've come up with. I'm racking my brain you all....:eyebulge:
I don't think there is a way to keep it from happening, except removing the shields and using exhaust header wraps . . ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.