Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called up a muffler shop I've done business with before and wanted an estimate on a true dual setup for my 04 v6. They told me I cannot do that because dual exhaust on my car will cause the left manifold to crack. I tried a few more shops in the San Antonio area, but couldn't get anyone on the phone. Tried Alamo Performance, but got put on extended hold and hung up.

Has anyone experienced the manifold problem above?

Can anyone recommend an exhaust shop in San Antonio who can do the work for me?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've got true duals on my 04, and I haven't had any issues. It hasn't been but a month, but haven't had any issues. There are a lot of folks on this website that have true duals on V6 and I haven't heard anything.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
i got true duals as well, but on the 4.0

even on the V6 true duals or not... themanifold is not effected eitehr way because teh exause passes through the maifold at teh same pressure weather u have duals or not.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'd take it to a different shop. I had a few places tell me that they wouldn't do duals because the fuel filter was in the way, Mustangs weren't built for duals, etc, etc. Ha.

Get another estimate. I've heard the new edges have issues with cracking manifolds with duals or not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
how much would true duals cost???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They just didn't want to do it. They don't have to even touch that area. All they are doing is cutting the exhaust just after the cats and running true dual from there.......
That's what I thought, too.

But then I started thinking "Well, during hard acceleration, the engine does counter-rotate slightly. Maybe the movement of the engine and the fixed dual exhaust will cause strain on the manfold resulting in breakage."

I tend to overthink things a bit. That's why I have 3 double-2x6 beams spanning 36" under my 72 gallon marine aquarium.

I want to build my exhaust system to perform better. I don't want it loud, just better flow. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I called up a muffler shop I've done business with before and wanted an estimate on a true dual setup for my 04 v6. They told me I cannot do that because dual exhaust on my car will cause the left manifold to crack. I tried a few more shops in the San Antonio area, but couldn't get anyone on the phone. Tried Alamo Performance, but got put on extended hold and hung up.

Has anyone experienced the manifold problem above?

Can anyone recommend an exhaust shop in San Antonio who can do the work for me?
Hws it goin kenmedic, nice to see someone from the San Antonio area... do you have the pieces necessary to complete the job and you wanted it installed, or did you want it done from scratch?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hws it goin kenmedic, nice to see someone from the San Antonio area... do you have the pieces necessary to complete the job and you wanted it installed, or did you want it done from scratch?
This will be from scratch. I am still seeking information at this time and will be ready to do this before the end of summer.

My build is more for efficiency and go, not sound and show. I put a lot of miles on my car, sometimes well before daylight, and I don't want to wake the neighbors every time I start the car. Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
This will be from scratch. I am still seeking information at this time and will be ready to do this before the end of summer.

My build is more for efficiency and go, not sound and show. I put a lot of miles on my car, sometimes well before daylight, and I don't want to wake the neighbors every time I start the car. Does that make any sense?
makes sense to me.
sounds like you want mild, not wild.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
That's what I thought, too.

But then I started thinking "Well, during hard acceleration, the engine does counter-rotate slightly. Maybe the movement of the engine and the fixed dual exhaust will cause strain on the manfold resulting in breakage."

I tend to overthink things a bit. That's why I have 3 double-2x6 beams spanning 36" under my 72 gallon marine aquarium.

I want to build my exhaust system to perform better. I don't want it loud, just better flow. Any suggestions?
Yep, you were overthinking it.....:laugh:

There are hangers along the tranny mount to help support the weight of the exhaust system. Don't forget, the dual exhaust goes down the length of the car until the y-pipe, so the weight was there all the time. The shop only needs to fab a hanger on the passenger's side of the dual exhaust next to the fuel tank......

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A pair of GT take offs with true duals sounds like a good plan. It'll be a bit louder than stock, but nothing huge. Plus, you can't beat the cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
here's my take. When I got to the Shop, they said, hey, 1 of your exhaust manifolds is cracked. This was moments b4 I put The TRUE dual on. He didnt do that kind of work. I said do it anyway. It sounded great, even they were impressed with themselves. after all the research, personally I feel u cant beat the flowmaster Delta 40 series if you want GT sound for the 1994-2004 mustangs, flowmaster just hit the sweet note when it came to sound. 2005+ Not so much - different location of mufflers, go MAC with X pipe. Anyway, they said it was Very Common for mustang exhaust manifolds to crack because the AC condenser is right by the manifolds and the cold water drips on it, cracking it over time. FORD has a work around posted on there web site, its a big enough problem, but not recallable, they even make a kit - Basically they want u to weld a "Metal Flange" to the AC condenser, pointing to an open "drip" area where the water will drip down, missing the hot manifolds. I bought a new manifold, but my mechanic said to save my money, he said he could do a welding job that will not bust again. That was 3 years ago, needless to say he did a GREAT welding job - NO PROBLEMS, and the power I got back was bad ass!

Besides gears True Duel will the 1 of the best things u could ever do and not worry about the damage u may cuase. GL:wavey... Dont think, DO IT:D It will turn heads. Always has for me. Dont even think about buying a duel exhaust set up after the Y pip, U will kick yourself later. Stick w/the stock piping size, it will help with back pressure that u need since the breathing will already be much improved, only go bigger on tips if u want the look (chrome, resinator, or none)

PS. make sure u tell them how u want the pipes to loo coming out the back, be specific (how far out, what angle, ect., there is more that 1 way, believe me.:scratchchin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A pair of GT take offs with true duals sounds like a good plan. It'll be a bit louder than stock, but nothing huge. Plus, you can't beat the cost.

So, if I did something like the v6 dual exhaust adapter kit and GT take off from American Muscle (or a Flowmaster kit), would that be sufficient?

Most of the GT take-offs use 2.5" piping. Will this provide enough backpressure without sacrificing low-end torque for the v6 without a PA?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
So, if I did something like the v6 dual exhaust adapter kit and GT take off from American Muscle (or a Flowmaster kit), would that be sufficient?

Most of the GT take-offs use 2.5" piping. Will this provide enough backpressure without sacrificing low-end torque for the v6 without a PA?
It would probably be cheaper to have an exhaust shop cut your y pipe and fab the rest. I thought the GT mufflers were 2.25". Either way, you'll be fine with backpressure with 2.5", just don't go any larger. Check out websites like craigslist for GT take offs. That's all that comes to mind when you mentioned a quieter dual exhaust system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called up another shop today. They said they could do it for around $575 including mufflers. They spec'd IMCO turbo mufflers stating they are not as load as FM, Borla, etc. but give a nice deep tone and good flow.

I couldn't find much useful information on this brand. Does anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
i have Gt take offs and they sound great. if i did it again i would get flows tho. my Gt's have a great rumble when reved. then again i have a H mid pipe. you wont regret the exhaust mod. i dont even use AC any more, would rather listen to the exhaust.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
i have Gt take offs and they sound great. if i did it again i would get flows tho. my Gt's have a great rumble when reved. then again i have a H mid pipe. you wont regret the exhaust mod. i dont even use AC any more, would rather listen to the exhaust.
haha i often find myself riding around without even the radio on just listening to the exhaust

·
Registered
794 Posts
haha i often find myself riding around without even the radio on just listening to the exhaust
yes sir thats what happens ........ but i had my manifold crack right on the flange before i put on true duals and it was combination of the water compesser and a little bit of wiggle room but i replaced it all good now :bigthumbsup but the shop just didnt wanna mess wit it when i had the shop do mine the cut off the cats and stuck an x pipe on there then attached the mac cat back :hihi:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have never heard about the manifolds cracking with dual exhausts set ups.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.