Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: This is more of a rant than a question.

I bought my 87 LX with a "straight" H pipe on it, no catalytic converters. I was trying to re-install the factory setup with the 4 cats in it so I will have a chance at passing smog.

I managed to get all of the bolts out of the H pipe, but one end of it, where it attaches to the muffler, will not come loose. It's like it welded itself together. I pushed on it, pulled, swore, pried with a screwdriver, and then finally beat on it with a hammer. During all of which I kept a close eye on my jackstands to see if I was about to be crushed to death.

Long story short, I bolted the other side (H pipe to muffler) back up, as it had come completely loose, and hand-threaded the 02 sensors. I am taking the %^%^#$% thing to a muffler shop. I expect they will ahve a torch to get the thing loose. And, of course, they have a lift for the vehicle, so they will actually be able to see what the %$^#%^ they are doing.

And I thought this would be a quick, easy job . . .

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Disclaimer: This is more of a rant than a question.

I bought my 87 LX with a "straight" H pipe on it, no catalytic converters. I was trying to re-install the factory setup with the 4 cats in it so I will have a chance at passing smog.

I managed to get all of the bolts out of the H pipe, but one end of it, where it attaches to the muffler, will not come loose. It's like it welded itself together. I pushed on it, pulled, swore, pried with a screwdriver, and then finally beat on it with a hammer. During all of which I kept a close eye on my jackstands to see if I was about to be crushed to death.

Long story short, I bolted the other side (H pipe to muffler) back up, as it had come completely loose, and hand-threaded the 02 sensors. I am taking the %^%^#$% thing to a muffler shop. I expect they will ahve a torch to get the thing loose. And, of course, they have a lift for the vehicle, so they will actually be able to see what the %$^#%^ they are doing.

And I thought this would be a quick, easy job . . .

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Wow...I really have no comment on that. Only other things you could have tried would be heating it with a torch and and attempt to get some leverage laterally,or rigged up a puller on one of the studs and tried to pop it apart with a little pressure on the stud.It must have rusted or as you stated,fused itself together. I would be PISSED!!! LOL!! An h-pipe giving that much problem just to take one pipe apart!? I would have sold my stang for half price on the spot.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Heat up the bolt with a torch if you have already tried a penetrant with no success. Get it good and red and should come right off

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: i bolted a single pipe back to the muffler pipe. The other is "welded" together. I did not bolt the pipes back to the headers.. I finger- threaded the O2 sensors back in.

I plan on driving the car to a nearby muffler shop.. But when I cranked the thing to move it in my driveway, it ran like ****, died, and almost would not start back up.

Is that because of the O2 sensors? Do you think it will make it to a nearby muffler shop?

So much for an easy project. . .

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Update: i bolted a single pipe back to the muffler pipe. The other is "welded" together. I did not bolt the pipes back to the headers.. I finger- threaded the O2 sensors back in.

I plan on driving the car to a nearby muffler shop.. But when I cranked the thing to move it in my driveway, it ran like ****, died, and almost would not start back up.

Is that because of the O2 sensors? Do you think it will make it to a nearby muffler shop?

So much for an easy project. . .
Cut off the section that wont affect any aftermarket h-pipes from fitting,drive it to the muffler shop,then have them just fab a small piece to fit. Done. Youre gonna want to get that thing fixed as to not have it happen again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts