Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv got a 05 gt with jba lt's off-road H-pipe and jba axle back. everytime i turn the car on in the mornings when the car is cold, it ticks really badly from the passenger side exhaust manifold. sounds like its coming from the last bolt or sumthing but iv checked for leaks, no leaks wat so ever. it goes away after about 30 seconds or so, also when it turns on, on the display thing by the cluster it says LOW OIL PRESSURE. but i have enough oil. im using motorcraft syntheticblend 5w30. please help

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Well dump that 5W-30 oil and put the recommended 5W-20 and see if it goes away. It sounds like the cam followers lack of oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im just hoping there is nuthin wrong with the motor, so u guys think just put the 5w20 back in it i would be fine. what about the low oil pressure warning it gives me sometimes

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Mmm, the low oil pressure warning could be a problem. Might have mentioned that earlier. As was mentioned switch back to the 5w20 and see if they both go away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea ill try that, its the LOW OIL PRESSURE warning reading on the display where it reades your miles in the cluster. y would i have low oil pressure, i mean is 5w30 that much more different then 5w20

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
yea ill try that, its the LOW OIL PRESSURE warning reading on the display where it reades your miles in the cluster. y would i have low oil pressure, i mean is 5w30 that much more different then 5w20
The oil weight wouldn't cause that. Sounds like you may have something wrong with the sending unit.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The oil weight wouldn't cause that. Sounds like you may have something wrong with the sending unit.
Yes it can give an error msg., on start up with the wrong oil. Also if you tee a mechanical gauge into the stock sender location. If the time the ECU expects to see oil pressure is to long, it will give an error message. Should go away though as soon as the oil flows.

Mine has done it since the Auto Meter install.

Could also be bleed off of the oil from a failed HLA (hydraulic lash adjuster; aka. lifter) on start up.

And yeah...get rid of that 5w30! There is also a TSB for pre Nov 06 built engines for HLA noise.

Last item...junk brand oil filters with no valving in them to prevent drain back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow this is all real good info guys, thnkx for helping me. just couple of more questions and ill be good. so where is the sending unit located, and if my lifter is off adjusted how would i check that and why would it go out of adjustment for no reason. i cant tell exaclty when this started but i do remember it wasnt that long ago, it was actually probably when i changed the oil. and if poss. you guys could explain to me again how the oil pressure warning thing works again. thnkx alot guys.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The oil pressure sending unit is near the oil filter, screwed into the block.

The ECU looks for proper oil pressure to activate the VCT (cam timing). If it is not within spec or takes to long to achieve spec, an error message will occur.

The lifter is not adjustable, rather oil filled. There is a TSB to diagnois and repair suspect failed ones under warranty.

If I find it or recall the number I'll post it. STL probably has is memorized LOL.

Mine and my wife's both have the ticking. Mine is really bad. But I will change them all when I go to the custom Brenspeed Two Screw cams.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
The oil pressure sending unit is near the oil filter, screwed into the block.

The ECU looks for proper oil pressure to activate the VCT (cam timing). If it is not within spec or takes to long to achieve spec, an error message will occur.

The lifter is not adjustable, rather oil filled. There is a TSB to diagnois and repair suspect failed ones under warranty.

If I find it or recall the number I'll post it. STL probably has is memorized LOL.

Mine and my wife's both have the ticking. Mine is really bad. But I will change them all when I go to the custom Brenspeed Two Screw cams.
I'll have to look for it. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thnkx alot guys, one last thing is there anyway i can find out a part number for the sending unit or how much it is. thnkx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.