Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was stopped by an officer as per my car being too "noisy":hihi:... I must admit its a bit over the top for a car that size. I was ordered to modify the noise levels or face extra fines :worship... I have a 2001 mustang coupe which I bought already altered with the dual exhaust / flowmaster. I need to modify as I need to go thru inspection in 45 days. Any suggestions on how to go about it? its has to be on the cheap side as I am a college student on a tight budget... All comments are very welcomed.:bigthumbsup

R

·
0 Posts
Have you only welded in a pair of 40's? You should be well within sound limits.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I didn't know loudness was regulated... they don't check for noise levels during an inspection do they?

Try craiglist, ask for someone to swap stock mufflers for yours... Pockets suggestion is good too, you shouldn't have to pay much to get back to stock.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ask the PD to provide the measured decibel (dB) level of your "noisy" exhaust (VERY likely they do not have that information)...

Also ask for a copy of the document or legal reference that defines the amount of acceptable noise in decibels (dB), and the process by which an officer MEASURES and determines whether noise is acceptable or excessive.

Document these conversations with names, dates, times and any reference materials they are able to provide.

If they are unable to provide either the measured dB level of your car, OR the process by which that is determined, go to court and plead that since there are no defined values or processes for determining excessive noise, and that one officer's perceptions are not definitive, as they could be affected by temperature, humidity, amount of surrounding (ambient) noise, and his physiological state, the violation has no merit.

Will take some time, but would also be quite educational... :yup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ask the PD to provide the measured decibel (dB) level of your "noisy" exhaust (VERY likely they do not have that information)...

Also ask for a copy of the document or legal reference that defines the amount of acceptable noise in decibels (dB), and the process by which an officer MEASURES and determines whether noise is acceptable or excessive.

Document these conversations with names, dates, times and any reference materials they are able to provide.

If they are unable to provide either the measured dB level of your car, OR the process by which that is determined, go to court and plead that since there are no defined values or processes for determining excessive noise, and that one officer's perceptions are not definitive, as they could be affected by temperature, humidity, amount of surrounding (ambient) noise, and his physiological state, the violation has no merit.

Will take some time, but would also be quite educational... :yup:
took the words right out of my mouth. I have magnapacks matted to an o/r h pipe on my cobra and its pretty loud. In South Carolina we dont have inspections(thank god), BUT i have gotten the occasional glare from the cops. so i just take the rpms up to 3k rpms and listen to my exhaust rumble off the cops car. They then proceed to roll up there windows and give me a dirty look. Its all worth it though because they cant do anything about it. :heha::heha::heha:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts