Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas i want to upgrade the entire exhaust system on my gt. i want to get JBA long tube headers with the JBA catted H pipe but im having a little difficulty deciding how to finish the exhaust. im leaning towards the roush cat back but i want to know if i can just get the axle back and have the stock pipes cut and welded to fit what would be missing. or would that be stupid? i do plan to get a roush supercharger here in the near future.
Any feedback and suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i dont know much but Ive heard to just do axel backs but im sure someone more knowledgeable will come along here shortly to tell us for sure

·
Registered
128 Posts
You should check out the New Pypes Super Beast System on American Muscle. Pypes long tube headers, shorty o/r X pipe, and Pypes cat back system. I youtubed a new 5.0 with the system and WOOOW. I creamed a little. I will be getting it some time in Aug. I was thinking about getting a O/r H pipe instead I dunno though. For $1180 that isnt very bad either. Heres the link

‪2011 MUSTANG GT 5.0 PYPES LONG TUBE HEADERS AND SUPER SYSTEM CAT-BACK‬‏ - YouTube

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i like the sound of H pipes better and i was trying to stay away from the off road mid pipes simply bcuz i have an off road h pipe on my 2000 v6 and dealing with the CEL and inspection sticker is such a pain. i'll definitely look into it, i like how its a whole exhaust system put together in one big bundle.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
. . . i want to know if i can just get the axle back and have the stock pipes cut and welded to fit what would be missing. . . . .
I think all of the exhaust systems are standard so they should fit together without any cutting or welding -- so if you get the JBA mid-pipe you should be able to put on the Roush axle-back mufflers and everything should fit

My understanding is that headers/exhaust are good for FI applications just like n/a, but you will get most of the bang from the supercharger so you might save your money on the exhaust because it won't make anywhere near the difference that the supercharger will make.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
hey fellas i want to upgrade the entire exhaust system on my gt. i want to get JBA long tube headers with the JBA catted H pipe but im having a little difficulty deciding how to finish the exhaust. im leaning towards the roush cat back but i want to know if i can just get the axle back and have the stock pipes cut and welded to fit what would be missing. or would that be stupid? i do plan to get a roush supercharger here in the near future.
Any feedback and suggestions would be great.

Headers suck! I finally just bit the bullet and put a set on. They are nothing but an expensive PITA. Unless you are looking for more than 550hp (blown) do yourself a favor and stick with the stock manifolds.

Some of the best sounding cars I have heard still run stock manifolds.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Headers suck! I finally just bit the bullet and put a set on. They are nothing but an expensive PITA. Unless you are looking for more than 550hp (blown) do yourself a favor and stick with the stock manifolds.

Some of the best sounding cars I have heard still run stock manifolds.

If Im only wanting 460 to the wheels with the Novi 2200 I should just stick with an after market mid pipe and my LM's? No heads?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
If Im only wanting 460 to the wheels with the Novi 2200 I should just stick with an after market mid pipe and my LM's? No heads?
Oh god no! You don't need anything else. That blower with STONE STOCK exhaust will make 460rwhp.

The only reason you have for doing a mid-pipe and mufflers is so you can get it sounding like you want it too. You certainly won't need exhaust to meet your HP goals.

Friends don't let friends get headers.:hihi:

·
Registered
6 Posts
i dont know much but Ive heard to just do axel backs but im sure someone more knowledgeable will come along here shortly to tell us for sure
The piping between the catted x-pipe and the axleback supposedly has flat spots in it that might be a bottleneck for flow. That would be the only plus to spending the extra money on a full catback as opposed to an axleback.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
The piping between the catted x-pipe and the axleback supposedly has flat spots in it that might be a bottleneck for flow. That would be the only plus to spending the extra money on a full catback as opposed to an axleback.
I know someone making 625rwhp through the stock pipes that go from the midpipe to the mufflers. All he got was axle backs and a X-pipe.

Not saying there isn't an improvement. But it may only be 1hp at 450rwhp.;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this opened up my eyes a little. But now I would have to find an H pipe that would fit the stock manifolds because I don't think the JBA catted one is going to fit.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Well this opened up my eyes a little. But now I would have to find an H pipe that would fit the stock manifolds because I don't think the JBA catted one is going to fit.
I wouldn’t ditch the stock H-pipe for another catted H-pipe. The stock cats are not a restriction till you are making big power with a blower or looking for every last little 1-2hp naturally aspirated, expense be damned.

If I could do it all over again I would be running a blower at 450hp, stock manifolds, stock H-pipe and my mufflers of choice. Cheap and easy…..and 450hp is nothing to sneeze at.:winks

If my wife and I decide to keep our 2010 Vert for more than 3 years this is exactly what I will be doing to it.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow really, I was about to go a whole different direction. I really wanna hit 500hp and was planning go get the roush supercharger but I really don't know what I have to do to the engine to have it safely hit 500hp. Roush cat back here I come.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey sqidd,

Did you think your long tube install was worth the hassle in gains? I am debating a set of Kooks LT with catted-x and a pulley down to 3.4 from 3.6 on my saleen blower. I know the LTs will sound better, just curious what gains you saw. Lookin for suggestions/opinions.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Hey sqidd,

Did you think your long tube install was worth the hassle in gains? I am debating a set of Kooks LT with catted-x and a pulley down to 3.4 from 3.6 on my saleen blower. I know the LTs will sound better, just curious what gains you saw. Lookin for suggestions/opinions.
“Worth it” becomes a sliding scale when everything is factored in, especially at your boost/power level. You are already leaning on the stock shortblock something fierce. Any more power than you are making now you start getting the rods into the “red”. I’d bet if you went with some Kooks that your tuner would have to back the timing off and maybe the boost to keep the lower end safe. So if you got headers it would be for the sound, not the HP gain because you can’t use it.

And as far as sound goes you could say that headers make it sound better, and I tend to agree. But it is at the expense of volume. I love the way that the Kooks/X-pipe sound, but they are a bit loud for my tastes. I’m getting a bit older now (39) and I’m liking stuff a bit more on the mellow side.

If you are planning on building you lower end and then leaning on the blower you have a use for the some LT’s (worth about 35rwhp). But if you are staying with the stock lower end IMO they are nearly useless, expensive and a HUGE PITA to put on the car.

All that being said I wish I left my car at 450rwhp and was running stock manifolds, stock H pipe or a replacement X, and some mufflers. If my wife and I keep our Vert and don’t trade it in on a new 5.0 it will be getting a blower (450hp) and running stock manifolds, stock H-pipe and some mufflers.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9,239 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Awesome, Now I will save myself $700 and only get catted x pipe then. :wavey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts