Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best exaust set-up; catted mid pipe(x or h) + cat back with the least amount of drone for my 99 GT? I don't care how loud the exhaust is but that low tone drone drives me bat ****. Thanks.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
stock would have the lowest, duh, you might want to look at 3 chamber mufflers with a catted mid pipe, but almost all them will drone at certain RPMS

·
Registered
196 Posts
I can tell you what not to get. Don't get Pypes street-pro exhaust. The drone was so bad at all rpms. The pypes pype bombs I have on now have a lot less drone then them.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Borlas or Bassanis have absolutely no drone. Magnaflow has very little. Any chambered muffler like the Blowmasters or MACs will have more drone than a straight through muffler.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Borlas or Bassanis have absolutely no drone. Magnaflow has very little. Any chambered muffler like the Blowmasters or MACs will have more drone than a straight through muffler.
Should I go catted x or h pipe? What exhaust set-up do you have on yours?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I have a catted X and Flowmaster 10 series right now. If you don't want drone, this is not the setup to get, and it was even worse before the cats went on it. It would give you a headache on the highway within an hour, and was actually louder with the windows rolled up.

My new setup will be offroad H and Magnaflows or Borlas.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Bullitt :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a catted X and Flowmaster 10 series right now. If you don't want drone, this is not the setup to get, and it was even worse before the cats went on it. It would give you a headache on the highway within an hour, and was actually louder with the windows rolled up.

My new setup will be offroad H and Magnaflows or Borlas.
...out of curiosity why the H pipe? From reading through the forums it seems people like the X better? Sorry if I'm sounding noobish :cooldude: I'm still learning...

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
...out of curiosity why the H pipe? From reading through the forums it seems people like the X better? Sorry if I'm sounding noobish :cooldude: I'm still learning...
In my case, it's because my Longtubes came with an offroad H.....:shigrin

H pipe sounds a bit smoother, and less raspy also. I think the main reason most people go towards the X pipe is because they're easier to find, in most cases, cheaper, and available everywhere. If you want an H for a New Edge, you have to search around unless you have longtubes.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
To take out the cats correctly requires an offroad mid-pipe, honestly.

You can get used offroad X's all over the internet for $100. With the 4 cat setup on the GTs, cutting the cats out and replacing it with piping would be a pain. Because of where the front cats are, you'd probably have to take the stock H off to begin with, just to get a shot at welding the pipe on. By the time you go through the labor of taking the stocker off, buying the pipe, welding it in (especially if you pay someone to weld it), and then reinstall, your time and money would have been better spent just buying the offroad X and taking advantage of the smooth flowing, larger piping than stock.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
307 Posts
bullit have you ever heard what and of road x sounds like with stock mufflers? is it loud? i too am looking for something a bit raspy i took my car down to Charlotte its a 3hr drive from raleigh
and the drone annoyed me (i have flowmasters 40's) im looking for something raspy and that would not give me a headache on a roadtrip

any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I had my offroad X put on when I had stock mufflers on my Bullitt. Granted, the Bullitt stock mufflers are a touch louder than the GT's, but not by much, and it added a little growl to the car, but it wasn't aggressive sounding at all.

The stock mufflers are really good at what they're supposed to do, they keep it quiet no matter what.

I have grown over the years to absolutely HATE the Flowmasters because of their drone, yet somehow ended up with them on my car.

Borlas will never drone a bit, but maintain a nice sound. Bassani is pretty much the same, just a tad louder than the Borlas.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thats funny they ended up on your car lol
well i read your other post im going with
bassani mufflers :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
You need to come down one weekend when we have a cruise-in around Fayetteville and hang out. There's a bunch of good guys with some really nice cars down here. Typically we'll get 40ish Mustangs on a cruise-in, and then the other car clubs bring theirs, everything from T-Buckets to GT500KRs are hanging out. Big 60's Cadillacs and a ton of 60's and 70's muscle cars.

It's a good time usually:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
307 Posts
Dude let me know when and where its going down here in raleigh on capital blvd theres always like ricers nothing good its dumb lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
yes capital blvd i use to hang around there when i went to broughton high school i remember all the ricers would hang at the wendys or the BP gas station across from it all of them would hate me when i rolled in to wendys in the 5.0.:rollgrin:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
bullitt, magnaflows don't drone? i thought they had a chambered design as well.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Magnaflows are straight through design, just like the Borlas and Bassanis.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.