Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2007 Roush 427R and I'm looking to make it louder but don't want to get too pricey with what I get. I was thinking about just a muffler delete or something like Roush extreme axlebacks. I just don't know what it would sound like with the stock exhaust from roush. What do y'all think?

·
Super Moderator
1,640 Posts
Welcome to AFM!

Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details (referred to as your profile in the site rules).

We’re glad you’ve joined us.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
I thought the Roush exhaust was pretty loud already, personally I don' think I would want it louder, but that's up to you obviously . . . louder mufflers -- like maybe the "extreme" that you mentioned -- or a muffler delete would be the first, simplest, easiest, cheapest thing to do. Beyond that you could look at removing the cats, but that is illegal and generally obnoxiously loud.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Or you can do a resonator delete, I had done that and the volume increased by 20%

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The Roush Extreme Exhaust is quite loud and in a good way. Waking up neighbors is part of having a muscle car. Some have roosters, dogs, cat fights or even alarm clocks....we have Roush Extreme!!

·
2,805 Posts
I have 2007 Roush 427R and I'm looking to make it louder but don't want to get too pricey with what I get. I was thinking about just a muffler delete or something like Roush extreme axlebacks. I just don't know what it would sound like with the stock exhaust from roush. What do y'all think?
First welcome to AFM post a good pic of this beast of a car! The 427R is a sweat ride. Drove one before I bought my Boss 302 and it was a tough pick between the 2, but ended up on the Boss 302 as it was newer and wanted to try a Mustang that could and was actually built to handle around turns for once.

Can't speak for 427R in particular, but I have had a few 2006 GT's and tried many exhaust systems out including muffler delete. So I will list those below with comments.

Flowmasters - I wouldn't reccmommend based on your wants as Roush is louder and nicer sounding.

Magnaflows - Same comments as Flowmasters

FR500S - Hard to find, but by far my favorite. No drone, fairly quiet on HWY and normal driving, but LOUD when you kick it or are getting into it.

Muffler Delete - Honestly not as bad as you would think. Certainly loud when pushing the pedal, but not too bad. Drone is there, but easily hidden with windows down or A/C and radio on at a decent, but not loud level. I would do a gain for sure if I couldn't get another set of FR500S if I am ever back on the 2005-2009 platform. (I tried muffler delete on my 2011 GT and my gosh it was terrible. The drone made me sick. Had to pull over 2-3 times on a 3hr drive it was so bad and made my head just throb. So would never do again on a 5.0, but certainly would on a 4.6 any day.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 07 GT had the roush extreme when I bought it. I love loud cars. I'm the guy on the block with the loud motorcycle, muscle cars, I play loud guitar in a loud band, etc. I like loud. Having said that, the roush extreme, to me, sounded terrible and was too loud so I swapped in an axle back with actual mufflers. Just my opinion but it sounded like a dump truck with no mufflers. I think most go through a few exhaust setups to find what they like. There's no substitute for hearing it in person.

·
2,805 Posts
OP Another suggestion if you decide budget isn't key is Borla, but like you I haven't ever been able to justify that kind of money on some mufflers alone.

One other idea that won't be too costly is cut outs. So straight pipe when you want it, but normal what you have sound when you don't. Never done this, but know a couple people that have and love it!

My 07 GT had the roush extreme when I bought it. I love loud cars. I'm the guy on the block with the loud motorcycle, muscle cars, I play loud guitar in a loud band, etc. I like loud. Having said that, the roush extreme, to me, sounded terrible and was too loud so I swapped in an axle back with actual mufflers. Just my opinion but it sounded like a dump truck with no mufflers. I think most go through a few exhaust setups to find what they like. There's no substitute for hearing it in person.
You switched the Roush axle back with actual mufflers? Unless I am missing something axle back and mufflers are one and the same and just different terminology, right?

·
Registered
63 Posts
"Axle back" just means the exhaust pipe from the axle back to the tips. The Roush extreme has no mufflers, it's just a straight pipe from the axle, back to the exhaust tips. I replaced mine with an axle back that has actual mufflers instead of a straight pipe with no mufflers.

Reactions: MustangLife

·
2,805 Posts
"Axle back" just means the exhaust pipe from the axle back to the tips. The Roush extreme has no mufflers, it's just a straight pipe from the axle, back to the exhaust tips. I replaced mine with an axle back that has actual mufflers instead of a straight pipe with no mufflers.
Gotcha not familiar with the Roush extremes, but that makes sense now. Thanks!

Yeah muffler delete isn't for everybody as some friends said way to loud and others said just right. There was nobody really saying in between. Love/Hate for sure!

·
Super Moderator
1,640 Posts
The Roush extreme will likely make the volume levels you want. I would recommend a set of Allied resonators to keep the drone and crackle at driver-tolerable levels. To go even louder, a CAT delete would be effective, and as pointed out earlier, illegal.

On a side note, don’t be surprised if your car ends up being impounded if you go too far. You need some manner of bringing down the db’s on the fly.

If I were in your shoes, I’d consider a custom exhaust with side pipes, and an electrically controlled exhaust cutout system... Or a new Active Exhaust system that’s accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

·
2,805 Posts
The Roush extreme will likely make the volume levels you want. I would recommend a set of Allied resonators to keep the drone and crackle at driver-tolerable levels. To go even louder, a CAT delete would be effective, and as pointed out earlier, illegal.

On a side note, don’t be surprised if your car ends up being impounded if you go too far. You need some manner of bringing down the db’s on the fly.

If I were in your shoes, I’d consider a custom exhaust with side pipes, and an electrically controlled exhaust cutout system... Or a new Active Exhaust system that’s accomplishes pretty much the same thing.
The active exhaust is certainly a great way to go, but very costly which OP is trying to avoid. I guess the impounding and all those concerns are based on where you live. You and I both live in NC, but around my area the law doesn't seem to care how loud your car is. I never so much as got a look when I was running no mufflers on my 06 GT and I drove around like an idiot when I was that young. Though I got plenty of attention for speed related issues, but never once did they mention the exhaust, but I am sure it didn't help as they heard me coming from a mile a way. haha

Yeah if you are going this route then on the cheap side go to an exhaust shop and have them weld in some test pipes in replace of your mufflers and save the money from the muffler delete kits they sell and put it towards a good mod. If you are going for loud as the main deal the loudest way to do and I don't recommend this, but the loudest you could practically do is long tube headers paired to an off road X pipe and muffler deletes. It will be loud, crackle, and pop. Though depending on state you might have trouble passing emissions unless you find a shady shop to pass you.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The Roush Extreme Exhaust comes in Axle-back and Cat-Back. The Cat-Back are the better, resonators replace the mufflers.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts