Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got my engine back from the shop and started assembling it. I could not find any torque specs so I just made them what I felt to me "adequately tightened". Unfortunately now my oil pan and valve cover gaskets are bulging out at each bolt. I tried loosening the bolt but it remained all squished and deformed. Im used to the rubber gaskets and know nothing about these cork ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
take the pan and valve covers off and hammer around the bolt holes to flatten the pan rail dnd valve cover out again and replace the pinched gaskets.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Expert advice leaves me out, but speeking from experiance, you don't want to lay on your back trying to replace a leaking oil pan gasket. I have to agree with the above post, fix your pan and valve cover flanges, buy new gaskets and start over. I'd use some Permatex sealer on the new gaskets and don't over tighten them.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It sounds like you're early on in the assembly stage. I have the same advice as silver69 and jimlj. Fix what's wrong and start over with new gaskets. Cork gaskets are not as forgiving as rubber but they work really well.
Just don't over torque them. Here are the torque specs from the 65 Ford Shop Manual. Should be the same for your 67-289. Good Luck! :winks

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi All,
Tylers sorry your having problems but I would like to thank you because I will be installing my pan on my 67 fastback ( I hope soon) This is why I love AFM because we all leaned from one other, but sometimes we learn to late and have to do it over again:smartass:

Take Care and good luck,

Dion

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey Tyler, rule of thumb is when tightening gaskets cork or rubber with no torque specs is to snug them all down evenly until you (start) to see the gasket bulge out on the side, not bulge out but (start) to bulge. Just the first movement of the gasket and that's it. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
When I replace cork valve cover gaskets with cork, I use a sealer like copper coat, to glue it to the valve cover, then I use a heavy grease like chassis grease on the side that goes to the heads, that way they are easy to take off. Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.