Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys I just had to make this thread. Some of you here may think I am crazy for even thinking about this, but then there may be others that think this is a great idea.

First of all, I am young and I have yet to see the world. I want to take at least a week here and there, to just drive out into the United States and see what our beautiful country has to offer. A road trip through the scenery of our industrial factories and beautiful mountains is a dream for me.

Problem is I want to take my 68 Mustang on this trip. So I ask you all here, can it handle such a trip? I am in the process of restoring another one I just bought, and there appears to be no rust holes in the frames and floors. The suspension is a rusty but nothing the Miracle paint I bought can't fix.

As far as the engine, it's a 1976 emissions heads 302 from a 76 Granada. It has only 42,000 original miles and has blow-back issues.

The fact that the Mustang is an old car, do you guys think it can handle such a mission?

It has new 5 leaf springs, new kyb-shocks, new brake lines and power brake booster, Granada front disc brakes, shelby export braces and sway bars. Brand new aluminum radiator.

Is that decent enough to make this trip? Is the car's bolts just going to snap off and the car will just turn to dust.

Plus, What about the variety of theives on this mission. I know here in NYC Hondas and newer cars are the prime targets, but somewhere out there someone's gotta wanna a nice car like this one.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Granted, my car has a much newer engine, but I have driven my Mustang from GA to TX, GA to OH, and GA to VA with zero problems. Your car either works fine or it doesn't. Before I did the long trips, I drove it on short trips 50 or so miles from my house in case something went wrong. I believe that every car is one wire away from working, though older cars may be more likely to break.

If you trust your car and are comfortable with it's reliability, take your trip. It will be a great adventure, either way. Take some spare belts/hoses if you feel you should. I usually travel with some tools and AAA.

I'm not sure what you mean by blow back, but I would get that addressed before any long trip.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Calendar age has little to do with the condition or roadworthiness of a car. We are driving to Tahoe this summer - in the oldest car in my garage, a 1939.

68 Mustangs drove coast to coast when new. They should still be able to do that unless there are 'problems' and 'problems' can be fixed. If you mean blow-by, that is not necessarily all that bad but would indicate bad rings probably. That is unlikely to make any major problem for you except maybe using a little oil.

The further west you go you will find that a '68 coupe is not a particularly rare car on the road today. Thieves tend to steal what they can re-sell quickly; that means mostly newer cars. Make sure your insurance is paid up and don't concern yourself.

To me, any car, old or new, is useless if it can't be driven. Go drive your car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Blow by that's it. The engine spits out some oil out of the filler cap, but not much.

What kind of 302/ transmission is good for highway driving. I know the 3 speed automatic that is attached to the Granada engine is not good for the highway since at 70 mph the engine is screaming.

I want a car that will be at low rpm at that speed so I can cruise instead of feel like I am racing at only 70 mph. Driving in NYC the speed limit is only 55 mph, so every time I go out of state the speed limits are 65 mph on the I-95 for example, my car is screaming at 70 mph and the people behind me are getting annoyed because I am driving so slow....

I would go faster if my car permitted it though...

Is this a nice transmission to give me a racecar/crusing feel?
TCI AOD StreetFighter® Transmission - 1980 & later Ford AOD, 2WD 3.8L, 5.0L & 5.8L [TCI-431000] - $1,734.95 : Powered By Ford - Your only high performance parts supplier for your Ford car or truck, When you want it done right and done well there is o

·
Registered
342 Posts
You could put a normal AOD on your 302 for a lot less money than that, but that's just me. Your mileage would go up; mine did significantly over a 289/C4 set up.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
West of the Mississippi you will find 75 is a more common freeway speed limit. If you drive 55 you will appear parked to most drivers on the road who will be averaging around 80.

Provided your transmission is shifting into high, your high engine speed is due to your high rear axle ratio, not the transmission. An overdrive transmission will help but may well cost you more than changing the axle ratio.

Check out your axle ratio. What is it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well since it is a swap out from the same 76 Granada, the tag on it reads as a 8.7 inch rear with 2.73 gears.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
That is one of the fastest rear end ratio ever made. If your engine is 'screaming' at 70 MPH then I would say your transmission never shifts into high gear. You should only be turning about 2500 RPM at 70 with a 1:1 transmission which is fairly slow compared to most cars. Either that or what is inside the axle housing is not what's on the tag. Rotate the driveshaft and count the ratio of driveshaft to wheel rotations to find out what is really inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts