·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've managed to wrestle an export brace onto my '66 Coupe
but I'm having problems getting the monte carlo bar to fit
(both from NPD).
Over the years, the shock towers have sagged inwards
so the stock spec bar is too wide for the engine bay right now.

Has anybody has similar problems? I jacked the front end up
in order to get the export brace fitted, but the monte carlo bar
just won't squeeze in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the shock towers are too close together you can try opening the space up with a bottle jack and a 2x4. Also if it's close try using long bolts in the holes at the firewall. Try to get it to fit at the shock towers first.
A way to get the brace closer together to fit the shock towers would be to put some heavy rope around it and spin the rope with a rod, that will pull it together.
Hope that makes some sense:winks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Measure the engine compartment diagonally from one corner to the other and make sure the sub frame is still straight. had a similar problem with my Mach 1 when everything was a bad fit and body panels would not line up properly. Discovered the car had been hit at one time. took the body panels off from firewall forward and had a body shop pull the frame back straight and then bold the export brace in place to keep it there. Amazing how will the fenders and grill lined up after that.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sometimes people have found that 2 jack stands placed to the rear of the front subframes and letting the car sit over nights relaxes the chassis up enough to get the MC bar in.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:)Nick's idea about the jack stands is a good one.I've had to do that a few times.The sad part is that you will probably have to take the export brace off to have that do you any good and then go through a repeat match of Motal Kombat to get it back on.Good luck.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, putting the jackstands under the crossmember/subrames worked pretty good. It only took bout 20 min and the holes lined up w/o any hassle. It was actually harder to get the export brace on vs the monte carlo bar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am having the same problem but my shock towers are too far apart. Where should I place the jack stands to pull it closer together?
Thanks

·
Registered
810 Posts
skelwyth said:
I am having the same problem but my shock towers are too far apart. Where should I place the jack stands to pull it closer together?
Thanks
uhhhhh how far apart? You sure you got the right bar?

Might be time to measure the car and see if someone had a little accident with it at one point and it wasn't welded back together properly

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the car is sound. I just had all new suspension and steering done. It had the two seperate bars which I removed and am trying to install the all in one chrome one. I would say it is short by 1/2 to 3/4" and also rubs against the cowl cover. Do you think it could be badly made?

·
Registered
810 Posts
oh its the export brace....yeah...those are typically low quality.

try ordering a non-chrome one they are cheap enough and see if it fits any better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.