Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some research trying to find the very best oil for my pony, and I ran across this site. ANyone ever heard of them?
Sentinel

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
This is one of the "Great Debate" topics. I have never heard of them. PM me for the #1 rated by independant lab tests. Otherwise the people on here seem to prefer Mobil 1, or Amsoil. I would suggest doing a search for various threads on this forum.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently am using Motorcraft 5W30 and LubroMoly engine treatment. This stuff is endorsed by BMW and it works. I was unaware Sentinel uses Moly in their oil, the spec sheet says nothing about it. Works out to $8.50 per quart and they say 40-80k miles between changes with filter changes of 10k miles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Motorcraft oil is very good oil. :happyhapp I also don't advise additives as they can mess up the chemical balance the manufaturer was trying to achieve:tongue. Look at it this way: if you feel you need to use an oil additive then you are admitting you're using crappy oil:doh:. Lots of good oil out there that don't require additives including Motorcraft. Also, save your money and don't change every 3000 - that's a waste. My "fleet" vehicles I keep on an annual (or 12,500 mile whichever comes first) oil change interval schedule and the '04 E350 Commercial Van w/ 17' box (V10 gas) I change every 6000 miles. Oil analysis reports are fine on all of them.

I do run 5W30 in my V8's though.:winks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with the oil change interval, since I was able to drive back in the early 80's I've always changed my oil about every 8k miles. Whoever came up with 2500-3000 is insane. I suspect the oil companies want you to use more friggin oil.
Moly is a wonderful additive, we use it at work and it has decrease wear and oil consumption in our equipment. And the fact that BMW endorses this product says alot.
At any rate, I am searching for an oil with the most longevity and protective qualities without breaking down. Yep, Motorcraft is a good oil and the price is great as well. I may as well stick with my present schedule of every 8k with moly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use amsoil 0W30. It's a great oil. Look them up at amsoil.com.
The 0W30 is rated for 35,000 miles or one year. I've been using it in all my engines, and could not be happier!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have 200,000 hard driven miles on my 1990 Honda CRX-Si. This includes cold starts at -40, drag racing, and tough city driving. I have used conventional 5w30 motor oil and genuine Honda filters which are known as far superior to ordinary aftermarket filters. If I can get 200,000 miles out of a high strung 4 cylinder on conventional oil I'll do ok with Mobil 1 5w20 with the CM-6731-FL820 Ford Racing oil filter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
thump_rrr said:
I have 200,000 hard driven miles on my 1990 Honda CRX-Si. This includes cold starts at -40, drag racing, and tough city driving. I have used conventional 5w30 motor oil and genuine Honda filters which are known as far superior to ordinary aftermarket filters. If I can get 200,000 miles out of a high strung 4 cylinder on conventional oil I'll do ok with Mobil 1 5w20 with the CM-6731-FL820 Ford Racing oil filter.
so how often did you change the oil?

·
Registered
261 Posts
i change mine every 1 or 2 miles. funny i never seem to get anywhere. i seem to always be at jiffylube . hmmmmmm!!!! you think im changing my oil too much? dohhhhhh! vynle.:sterb:

p.s and its right around the corner!!!!! yippeeehahahohohehehoohooyoyobadidadibangbang!!!!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
brnrkm said:
so how often did you change the oil?
every 3000- 4000 miles depending on city/highway mix.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
M1 5 20 ~3-4k

·
Registered
23 Posts
well i've been a bmw tech for 3 years and have never heard of lubromoly or anyhting like that. we just use castrol synthetic. where do you guys get this info???

·
Registered
897 Posts
kj_cinci said:
M1 5 20 ~3-4k
I was refering to the conventional 5w30 in my 200,000 mile CRX-Si when I said 3-4K

Or are you saying you change your Mobil 1 5w20 every 3-4K?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
thump_rrr said:
I was refering to the conventional 5w30 in my 200,000 mile CRX-Si when I said 3-4K

Or are you saying you change your Mobil 1 5w20 every 3-4K?
Yea, I change mine every 3-4K... sorry if I was unclear...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts