Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how's it goin guys? A lot of us -count me in- are having a trouble deciding how to "upgrade" our Mustangs. I have a stock 05 and I have some money now, I don't know what to do, this is what I'm having on mind:
1- K&N air charger and Borla cat-back exhaust system
OR
2- Top of the line Pioneer Navigation system and some interior upgrade
OR
3- Roush front fascia and rear spoiler

What to do with the money?? Thanks

·
Registered
708 Posts
Sounds like me, hard to decide on what has priority.

I'd do the Exhaust, some misc interior, tint, and the spoiler.

K&N doesn't ship with a tuner usually and that's half the fun of the 05 CAI systems. The Roush front end needs the fogs and wiring harnesses + paint and prep. The Nav system for me would have to go in along with the rest of the audio components on the wish list.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vandil said:
Sounds like me, hard to decide on what has priority.

I'd do the Exhaust, some misc interior, tint, and the spoiler.

K&N doesn't ship with a tuner usually and that's half the fun of the 05 CAI systems. The Roush front end needs the fogs and wiring harnesses + paint and prep. The Nav system for me would have to go in along with the rest of the audio components on the wish list.
hmmm, yeah Vandil, it is hard to decide with all those aftermarket goodies! I think I'm going for a spoiler and the exhaust and K&N for a start, hope the budget fits. Would like to hear more of others opinions too.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would go with the C and L CAI, combo, with the SCT Xcal 2, from modular depot in cinci. Then for exhaust I would go with the FRPP exhaust that is essentially the same as the borla, just less cash.:winks Also think about a good off-road x-pipe, UPR, maybe. Good Luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
MT, here's a different idea for you. It would be nice to be able to quantify the results of modifications you make to your car. Why not get one of the electronic testing units like the G-Tech first so you could do a baseline on your car. You could then run secondary tests every time you make a mod and be able to see what differences the mod made.

The second thing I'd get would be a tuner, XCal2 or Predator. I personally favor the XCal2, but it really comes down to which interface you prefer, what you think of the additional features like data logging on the XCal2 and local support (unless you buy the tuner by mail)

WRT the buying a tuner in general and the XCal2 specifically, do some comparison shopping, not all SCT dealers provide the same stuff. Make sure you get all three tunes (87, 91 and 93 octane). The first local shop I went to wanted to give me just one tune then charge me $100 for each additional tune. I got my XCal2 by shopping the Internet and buying from a tuner in a different state (VMPTuning) who included all three tunes and was recommended by SCT as having great customer service. I have not been disappointed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm, what would Xcal2 do for me? Do you feel the difference in driving? more horse power?

I don't know, but I prefer looks over minimal added power. Also, I prefer more performance, like better air flow and tire quality than just fake hp on FLYWHEEL!

·
Registered
726 Posts
is that what the new ones are called? s197? so it's sn65, mustang II, foxbody, sn95 and s197?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Imho..

I went for the exhaust system first. Then the louvers and stripes. My idea was to separate my car from all others by adding a little rumble and looks. I add accent pieces when I can and still save a few bucks for my CAI and tuner. Just concentrate on your personality and what your want your car to say about you. You'll be happy if you go with that!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cai

MetalTear said:
hmmm, what would Xcal2 do for me? Do you feel the difference in driving? more horse power?

I don't know, but I prefer looks over minimal added power. Also, I prefer more performance, like better air flow and tire quality than just fake hp on FLYWHEEL!
MetalTear,
I would seriously consider a CAI and Tune then. That is going to be my first performance mod next month followed by the FRPP/Borla exhausts. While the exhaust is supposed to add a small bump in hp and torque (that mod is all about the sound and the looks), the CAI with tune gets rave reviews from everyone for not only hp and torque, but for driveability, expecially for the auto trans. C&L and JLT seem to be the two most popular and there are substantiated claims on the web and in print of their gains. Check out the Jan 2006 issue of 5.0 Mustang...here is the link to the article:

http://mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0601w_cold_air_intake/

For about $600 and an hour of your time, you can get 25hp/20lb-ft (C&L) or 28hp/22lb-ft (JLT). The K&N is cheaper with a less of a performance increase ...18hp/15 lb-ft. I want the tuner though....I'm sure I will use it more in the future with tire, wheel, header, and other mods planned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts