Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come with new mustangs you can't order bigger rear end gears like you can with the manuals. Some packages are also manual only...like the Track Pack for the 2010. Is there a specific reason?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MPG, EPA?

Maybe they don't think people that want an Automatic are looking for performance?

I love my stick...but seriously where I live...it is a PITA because of crappy traffic and idiot drivers.

It kinda sucks if I wanted to buy an Automatic that I'd have to spend probably double if not tripple just for the same mods because of labor and such. I planned on getting a 2011-2012 GT with the sexy new engine when it came out...bah.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's gas mileage. That's why the track pack only comes with 3.73:1 gears, too.

If you ask Ford Racing, then they will recommend the FRPP drag pack, which comes with 4.10:1 gears for the manual and 3.73:1 gears for an auto for approximately the same final drive ratio.

The track pack is around to make the Mustang GT more attractive until the new engines come out next year. Auto makers use this ploy all the time.

Ford could offer a similiar option on an auto. They did just that with the Shelby GT.

Why not? It's a good profit margin.

Gas mileage again. You want to keep the enthusiasts happy, that means at least a manual transmission. On the other hand, for CAFE reasons, you want to keep your mileage numbers up. The track pack is small number of sales. It won't hurt CAFE too badly.

Take it one step further. Why don't they offer a GT500 in an auto? The Camaro SS, G8 GXP, CTS-V and Corvette all have automatics. The Corvette auto has been outselling the Corvette manual for decades, at least since the 70's, I believe. GM makes money on performance autos. Why not Ford?

GM works hard to get all of those auto cars decent gas mileage for CAFE. That costs money.

(Why no independent rear suspenions for the car? That costs money, too!)

The average person shopping for a Mustang auto has traditionally been happy with the performance level offered. Mustang owners accept the highest performing models won't have an automatic option (no excuse in this day and age, though). Under this model the track pack and the highest performing Mustangs (like the Cobra) will be limited in production (enthuiasts still happy, development costs lower), while most opt for the standard GT or V6 models (better for CAFE).

The only time Ford releases a "special" Mustang with an auto is when at least two conditions are met:

1) Limited Production from the beginning and not just an option block anyone can check on a GT.

2) To keep interest up. The Shelby GT was designed to keep the car interesting after the first year of production when sales usually take a slide. It road a wave of popularity. Mach 1 autos were produced to keep the car fresh until the '05 model came out. Offering an auto meant more Mach 1 sales, but since the production totals were carefully controlled, Ford didn't have to worry about it hurting CAFE as much.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
If you ask Ford Racing, then they will recommend the FRPP drag pack, which comes with 4.10:1 gears for the manual and 3.73:1 gears for an auto for approximately the same final drive ratio.
That's backward. The auto has a higher final drive than the 5 speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.